Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > LINKERS    

LINKERS

ascincoquinas
Portugal

LINKERS

Dear colleagues!

In the following sentences, would you consider only one option, or accept more than one and why?

1. Life expectancy has increased but new disease are always popping up. (is it possible to accept "yet"?)

2. Cloning may be dangerous, yet geneticists won �t give up. (is it possible to accept "but"?)

Thanks a lot!

Ascincoquinas

29 Nov 2015      

Pedro14
Spain

Hi ascincoquinas,

As far as I know, you could use but, yet or still. All of them are linkers which introduce a contrasting idea. Similar to however

Hope it helps. Wait for experts opinion, though. 

29 Nov 2015     

yanogator
United States

Hi, Ascincoquinas,
Yes, both options are possible in both sentences, but I feel a slight difference in emphasis.

I think of "but" as a simple contrast - just stating the fact of a difference.

To me, "yet" gives a stronger contrast, drawing attention to the clause that follows it, similar to "on the other hand".

This difference between "but" and "yet" is just an informal difference in the sense that the words give to the amount of contrast shown in the sentence.

Bruce 

29 Nov 2015     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Thanks so much to both of you!

29 Nov 2015