Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Could anybody help me?    

Could anybody help me?

jocel
Philippines

Could anybody help me?

Good day everyone!

I just wondered if there is a term "English break" in English-English? Or what should I say if I want to have  a short break to study English?

Hope someone can help me.

Thank you very much!

Have a great day! 

Jocel 

9 Dec 2015      

gulgunmurat
Turkey

Good day to you too,

In master dictionaries, this term does not exist. However, there is a set of english coursebook named after this term, in my country  but the press  Turkish. � mean, it is not native so they might have made up the term. If you ask my opinion, I would prefer to say "break for English", because as I mentioned above in leading dictionaries there is not a collocation like this. Anyway, like everything, English is also undergoing changes. May be, a few years later this term will appear in dictionaries or books. Let �s wait and see...

9 Dec 2015     

jocel
Philippines

Thanks for the prompt response sir. I appreciate that.

We �re similar here, we also use such term at times. But I �m quite anxious if Native speakers will understand me if I use it with them.

But as you have said, words Etymology has been changing overtime.

Thanks for some ideas!

9 Dec 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Hi jocel

This is a good question.

No, as a NS in Australia I would not understand this. 

We would say that we are going to study [language] abroad. For example, I am going to study French abroad.

If we are going to work abroad for a short period, as many young Aussies do, we call it a working holiday (or gap year, which is the common thing that school leavers do now before going to uni) but this does not apply to study. We don�t call it a study holiday.  Many uni students choose to study abroad for one semester, and learn the language as part of that, which is then credited to their bachelor degree. They study abroad.

I�m interested to hear from my UK and US counterparts.

Cheers

Jayho

9 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Depending on the context, a UK native speaker might misunderstand an "English break" as the opposite: a break when you stop studying English.

I haven �t heard "English break" used with the meaning you intend, so I �d go with your second suggestion: "a short break to study English" or "a short break to focus on my English studies".

You might also want to look at the word �sabbatical �. It �s normally used in universities rather than schools and for longer periods, but it �s a word many native speaker teachers would be familiar with. Not really appropriate for just a few weeks though. :-)

sabbatical

noun

: a period of time during which someone does not work at his or her regular job and is able to rest, travel, do research, etc.

9 Dec 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would agree with �sabbatical � and after today, I may be taking one.

9 Dec 2015     

jocel
Philippines

Hello everyone!

It �s now crystal clear! Thank you very much for your help JayhoTapioca, and cunliffe. It was really a big help!

"Sabbatical" is an interesting word, although here in Philippines it �s commonly used by priests having their break on priestly duties. 

Thanks again! 

9 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

I �m now wondering what priests do when they take a break from their duties

Just kidding!

@ Lynne - /Tap passes you a large red Côtes du Rhône.

9 Dec 2015