Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I was just wondering    

I was just wondering

freddie
Canada

Good discussion guys! so thanks to Missoula for bringing it to us!

One more thing I wanted to add to the discussion if you dont mind...I feel that Teacher`s Notes for some of the worksheets is a necessity. Some folks put the directions/suggestions for the activity in the worksheet description and then I have to download the file, find it in my files, open it and copy paste the directions into the file. Sometimes I dont have time and what seems obvious when I downloaded it, later is impossible for my severely challenged memory to recall and I dont have time to think about how to use it. :) 

Teacher`s Notes please! My tired brain would appreciate it Smile

25 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

I agree with many of the others.  Worksheets are not the be all and end all.

A short worksheet assists Ss to apply the concepts. Examples are not true-to-life but stilted: grammatically correct in every way except for the grammar point being applied.

Real-life practice with that grammar point reinforces the concept, with the WS being used as a guide.  I get the Ss to practice the grammar point with a partner: Q&A or comment statements.  Or, I get them to look at a newspaper/magazine/brochure article to highlight the grammar point.  This is far more authentic and illustrates how it is used in real life.

I do find short WSs with good content useful for my teaching style.  Like Freddie I usually adapt them to suit my class, such as changing the questions, and I am so grateful for the layout.  I generally don �t download WS of more than one page or those with lots of fancy fonts and colour.  Plain arial font size 12 and B&W suits me fine.  In fact, I don �t even look at WS with lots of colour because they just don �t photocopy well.

Answers - if they �re there, well and good, but if not that �s ok.  I do the WS beforehand to ensure everything is correct, and then that becomes my answer sheet. 

Why do people upload the same contribution more than once- beats me!

Cheers

Jayho

25 Feb 2009     

missola
Palestine

Well. I do appreciate your opinions and I �m really glad because I think it is very good to get experience from others. This expeience and knowledge that I gain from this website is really great taking into consideration that it includes teachers of different experiences and from different countries.
First of all, I asked questions because I always put in my mind whenever I write a worksheet to my students whether they are intermediate, advanced or adults that this worksheet should be complete and should explain everything I need to talk about. what I mean to say is that if I �m talking about the simple present for example the worksheet should include the general form of present simple and the exceptions too. I can �t give my students a worksheet to do and while they are working on it I tell them sorry I forgot to mention this thing or that thing. When I work on a worksheet, I think of myself as a student who needs to understand something new. If I thought it is enough then the worksheet is over. If there is something missing then I have to add it.

as for including the answers, I have to tell you that I didn �t do it before but then I realized that it would be more helpful to others to include answers and that �s why my new worksheet include answers and I would appreciate if others include it too. It is better to do so because sometimes we make mistakes and sometimes we are not sure of something. Including answers will make us more confident of our answers.

As for worksheets with only very few sentences, I think they may be good when reviewing or summarizing something but not at all when giving a new concept even if it is grammar. I usually start a grammar lesson in context through a reading lesson. this is what we are asked to do where I teach, then I would ask my students to work on certain activities that I prepared in a worksheet (this is because we don �t have grammar books where I teach and the book activities are very few). That �s why few sentences are enough for me to teach students something new that I want them to understand and use later in their own writings.

I have one more thing to add and it is just arequest to everyone who uploads anything in this site. Please be careful in the description you write about your work.

thanx to you all and have a nice time

25 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2