Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Descriptions    

Descriptions

Minka
Slovenia

Descriptions

I have always thought that users are supposed to name and describe the worksheets in a way that would help others choose the ones they need. But when I look at the new contributions there �s a bunch of worksheets called Questions for this exam, Questions for that grade and term, exam for these and these students etc, And the description is no better: I hope you like it, exam questions... Arghhh! Do these users think we �re going to open each and every worksheet to see what they are about? And give them points this way already? Or wait for the preview od ten worksheets?

26 Dec 2015      

MoodyMoody
United States

Poor descriptions, as you allude, hurt the contributor. I agree that the blurbs should describe the subject matter in such a way that the prospective downloader knows what the worksheet/presentation contains. Contributors should also know that poorly-worded descriptions also make potential downloaders think that the work is poorly done, rightly or wrongly.

26 Dec 2015     

shvat
Israel

In general, why would other teacher �s test help me?? We never cover the exact same material anyway.

26 Dec 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The thing here is that the previews are pretty good - you can see what is on offer and for me, a description is a little bit superfluous. 

27 Dec 2015     

Minka
Slovenia

I agree, Cunliffe, but that is just not the point. I think it is not nice not to give a proper description. If you make a test for this and this grade/term/whatever - would it kill you to mention a topic or a grammar structure you included? Not you, but you know... 

27 Dec 2015     

aada96
Algeria

thanks a lot

27 Dec 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Minka, yes, fair enough. It �s quite different on islCollective. You have to write 160 characters to describe your ws. 

27 Dec 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

I personally don �t bother to look at previews unless the description matches something I want. A well-written blurb can make a difference.

As long as we �re talking about descriptions, do we have guidelines for what is considered "elementary," "intermediate," or "advanced"? I �m never quite sure about that. 

27 Dec 2015