Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > How to revise vocabulary    

How to revise vocabulary

ivush
Czech Republic

How to revise vocabulary

Dear colleagues, have you got any tips for your students how to revise vocabulary for five minutes a day?

4 Jan 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi ivush,
How about �Look, cover, write, check. �  

4 Jan 2016     

t.gyorgyi
Hungary

Hi,

They can make wordsearch puzzles (I usually give them an empty chart to fill in -> a 10x10 square), crossword puzzles, picture dictionaries, memory cards. If they have more (free) time, they can even create board games.

Georgiana

4 Jan 2016     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

If they have 5 minutes to spend together outside class-time, they could...
1. make cards
2. quiz one another on spelling, meaning, how to make a short sentence with the new word.
If they make cards, the cards should be thicker than paper so that you cannot see through it.
They can write the new English word on one side and a hint or translation to their language on the other side.
Also, if they write in quite big letters, they can show one letter at a time to their friends and ask them to spell the word.
They can show the word in their own language (are they all speakers of one mother tongue?) and their friend can try to say it in English.
They can show the word in English, and their friend can try to use that word in a sentence within (for example) 30 seconds for some game points.
When I was learning Japanese, I did that with classmates frequently, and it was more interesting than just reading lists of new words by myself.

Good luck.

4 Jan 2016     

class centre
Belarus

Hi there!

my little ones like the drilling I  ask them to do for their peers. We have special lists of the words and expresions they have to know to pass to the next step. So they pair up, and one of them looking into that list says the word in Russian and hisher classmate gives its equivalent in English. Then they swap. It takes just 5 minutes ! They love it, because they pretend to be teachers. :)))
Happy New Year! 

5 Jan 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

Definition game. 2 words on a piece of paper that are related to the previous lesson. Make a list, cut them into slips of paper with 2 words and then get them to describe the 2 words to the rest of the class. The rest of the class have to guess the meaning. Once they get it , it �s the turn of the next student who take another 2 words to describe. I use it all the time and it really does work.

5 Jan 2016     

beaca
Spain

When you call their names in the beginning of each lesson instead of saying "here"or "yes" or whatever they usually say they have to answer with one word from the vocabulary seen in the previos lesson. I. E. ( we learnt means of transport) "Sarah" and she says " motorbike"

5 Jan 2016