Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Revising Simple Past with regular verbs    

Revising Simple Past with regular verbs

vanyiimo
Romania

Revising Simple Past with regular verbs

Hi! I need some ideas for revising Simple Past with regular verbs. Thank you

19 Jan 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I hate worksheets. So what I do is ask for a volunteer. Then I give a set of instructions to that student. Walk (slowly/quickly) to the window. Look through the window. Climb on the desk. Jump down. Pick my bag up. Drop it on the floor. (Or similar instructions which involve regular verbs... switch the lights on/off, clean the board, water the plant, open the door... ). Then I write up, �First, then, next, after that, finally � and I ask the class to remember exactly what the volunteer did and in the correct order. Get them to write it down in a paragraph. 
Next, put a student in the Hotseat and ask, �Did s/he open the door first?...Did he close the door? Did he pick up the board rubber? Did he climb up a ladder or on the desk..� etc and they must answer in a full sentence. �Yes, he opened the door first/No, he walked to the window first � and so on.... This makes a nice starter and requires no prep.
I �m off worksheets as I have no budget for photocopying. 

19 Jan 2016     

shvat
Israel

Thanks - tom I was planning to teach the past! perfect timing - I want to try yr idea!! THANK YOU!

19 Jan 2016     

class centre
Belarus

cunliffe! your tip is  awsome!!! I will use it right now. Thanks a lot!

19 Jan 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �m pleased to help! And thank you for your comments. You might find this useful. I use this method with any story and adapt it to the topic in hand. 

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=813394#thetop

20 Jan 2016     

vanyiimo
Romania

Many thanks for sharing you ideas! You were of help.

21 Jan 2016