Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Irregular past tense lesson ideas!    

Irregular past tense lesson ideas!

Elle81
United Kingdom

Irregular past tense lesson ideas!

Hi to all of you teachers out there! I am looking for exciting lesson ideas to teach irregular past tenses. It could be a power point or a game that my adult ESOL learners will love & learn from. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance.
Elle 

20 Jan 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Here are a few ideas. 
1) Dictate 10 or 15 (you know your group) past irregulars and then ask them in pairs to guess the infinitive. It �s not so easy, for example bought doesn �t really look like buy
2) Once they �ve worked them out, ask them to write a story and it must contain 10 of the 15 verbs (or 8 of the 10...whatever!) in the order you have dictated them.  
3) Write up the first 10 letters of the alphabet and write - or elicit from them - a past irregular for each one. Then, they play a game, going round the group. They must add a sentence - verb (and noun, if you like, though that �s a bit hard...!) beginning with that letter. Begin:   �I went to town and I..... ate an apple/bought a book/ caught a coach/drank a drop of water.... It �s fun to work on these! 
if you have a smallish group, you can play this like �I went to market and I bought.. � That is, each student has to repeat what the others have said before adding their own sentence.  
I got these tips from Jim Scrivener �s �Teaching English Grammar �.  

20 Jan 2016     

sergio1974
Spain

You can play domino by making 3 domino cards for erach irregular verb. Students can place a card next to another if they share the same form: e.g. BROUGHT, BOUGHT, SOUGHT, FOUGHT can be combined together.

20 Jan 2016     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

how about this video?

20 Jan 2016