Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Challenges for Teachers    

Challenges for Teachers

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Challenges for Teachers

The biggest challenges for teachers according to David Crystal

31 Jan 2016      

titine69
France

Thanks for sharing.very interesting.

31 Jan 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

So the biggest challenge to teachers is different accents, different standard Englishes and the way the language is in constant flux (it was always thus). LOL I don �t think so!

1 Feb 2016     

titine69
France

I think he is right to say that the different accents must be taken into account even though British English is the language,we, teachers have to teach our students.I always talk about the differences we can find between English and Irish or Scottish accents.And when I go to Ireland,this is quite interesting to see the variety of accents between people from Donegal or Mayo or Dublin...And it is useful to know the variety of accents,it can really help you understand  a conversation. ! 
This can be a challenge for teachers to make students aware of the differences in prononciation or accents but this is not the biggest one. 

1 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

While there are obviously many different challenges facing teachers in general (unacceptable behaviour by pupils and parents not the least of them), I believe Professor Crystal was specifically addressing English language teachers. And since, as he says, "no aspect of human behaviour is more complex than language", phenomena such as language change are bound to have an effect on the attitudes of teachers, which in turn affect teaching strategies. There�s no denying, for example, that Indian English is just as valid as British English, but while the rhythmic patterns of the latter are predominantly stress-timed, the former, influenced by Hindi, is more syllable-timed (like French). This would clearly have an effect on teaching pronunciation in certain contexts � unless, of course, you�re one of the dwindling band of die-hards who believe that RP and only RP should be taught.

1 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with everything the previous posters have said, but the guy himself was quite unequivocal that it is the greatest challenge facing teachers today.
I will add to almaz �s list: combatting pressure to get exam results by teaching to exam specs; raising aspiration among students where there is a paucity of role models in the near vicinity; planning interesting and engaging lessons. I can honesty say, hand on heart, that the things this prof mentions do not figure on the list of serious challenges for the EAL teachers I know. We embrace diversity of language as a positive, while realising there is only so much we can do - there is far too much diversity for us to expose them to it all - experience may do that with time; we accept that the language develops, but that isn �t really a new phenomenon - check out an 18th century text; we each have our own accents as the students do. Nobody is trying to say that one form of standard English is superior to another and actually, that is quite a different matter. I think that this point is the real one that finds this prof on his hobby horse. I note that he says he is pleased not to be a teacher: insofar as I �m concerned, when he is making statements like that, he hasn �t got a clue about the challenges at the chalk face. . I would love him to go to any big comp for a single week and see what he thinks the real challenges are after that. What �s he going to say: Ah that �s all very well, Mrs X, you had pace, variety, excellent resources; Jimmy was still jumping on the desks and Kaz was flicking pellets at Tim - no problem. But you didn �t understand Lol when he said, �delish �. Give over, mate! Get real.  
He gets paid a lot for spouting this and I hope I �m entitled to refute it without rattling anybody �s cage.

Oh, just a little point. �There�s no denying that Indian English is as valid as English English...� This is an absolute statement. Which you should be primarily taught does depend to a certain extent on where you live. My students have all come to England where they hope to settle. I am a Geordie but actually, I do my best to expose them to standard English English as well as mine and also the local accent. It�s really not a huge challenge for teachers - is it? And where to stop? Why be so narrow? Shouldn�t we expose them to Spanish/Catalan... etc? 

1 Feb 2016     

teresasimoes
Portugal

Thank you for sharing.
It´s always a great pleasure listening to David Crystal.

I recommend his webinars too. 

1 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Agreed, Teresa. The man knows what he�s talking about.

1 Feb 2016