Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > curious    

curious

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

curious

I �m curious to know what word is used to name a birthday when a teenager becomes an adult and has all the rights as adults have: to vote, to buy alcohol, etc. In Russia we call it "День совершеннолетия". And in English?

8 Feb 2016      

Manuhk
Hong Kong

It �s called "coming of age" ☺️

8 Feb 2016     

maryse pey�
France

Hi Julia !

As I am curious and perfectly unable to read Cyrillic, may I ask you the meaning in English of the Russian expression ?

Great thanks for your answer.

Maryse.

8 Feb 2016     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

:) Maryse! This is what I want to know! It means something like "The day when you becomes an adult" :) )))

8 Feb 2016     

maryse pey�
France

In French it is less "romantic"... It is called "majorité"...

But my question was about the translation of the Cyrillic signs with their original meaning written with Latin letters. And you answered my question.

Hugs to you.

Maryse.

8 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Good morning everyone. In a legal sense, in English, you also attain the �age of majority � which may be different to �coming of age �, depending on where you live. Defining someone as a �minor � is reflective of this legal concept. Cheers, AB

8 Feb 2016     

GarboFour
China

Hullo Julia, I don �t think there �s a name in English for the birthday when teens become adults.
In Japan, they call it ����ˤ��� �, and they usually translate it to �Coming of Age Day � in English.

8 Feb 2016     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

Thank you, dear colleagues!!!

9 Feb 2016     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I wonder if "becoming legal" is also used in this sense (at least in the US)

9 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Sophia - well, not in the UK. That refers to a person�s 16th birthday (and usually refers to girls). I need say no more. 

9 Feb 2016     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Oh, I see, Lynne, thanks!
Anyone from the US could comment? 

9 Feb 2016     

1    2    Next >