Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Passive voice    

Passive voice

franpancho
Spain

Passive voice

Hi everybody. I wonder if you could lend me a hand rewriting this sentence into the passive voice.

A recent study found that posting photos of oneself correlates with lower levels of intimacy.

Thanks in advance. 

8 Feb 2016      

Nuria08
Spain

I �d say: According to a recent study, posting photos of oneself has been found to correlate with lower levels of intimacy.

8 Feb 2016     

franpancho
Spain

Hi Nuria,

This sentence was in last year �s Castilla y León PAEU test. I think it is an impersonal passive so my answer would be pretty similar to yours:

Posting potos of oneself was found to correlate with lower levels of intimacy.

However, a bachillerato teacher gave a very different answer, which I don �t have, so I was wondering if I was wrong.

8 Feb 2016     

Nuria08
Spain

That one sound fine, too. I don �t think you �re wrong. 

8 Feb 2016     

12bprecise
Mexico

The present perfect version "has been found" is better for showing that it �s a recent finding. And it sounds more natural if you �re just introducing the concept. I would expect "was found" if previous sentences talked about the study.

8 Feb 2016     

franpancho
Spain

Thank you both.

The sentence doesn �t have any context so I �m not completely sure which, the past simple or the present perfect one, would be better, but as a Spanish speaker it sounds more natural to use the present perfect tense with the adjective "recent."

Gracias. 

8 Feb 2016     

PaulG
Costa Rica

I would say, The fact that posting photos of oneself correlates with lower levels of intimacy is the conclusion found by a recent study.

9 Feb 2016     

mimib21
Madagascar

I would say: Posting photos of oneself correlates with lower  levels of intimacy was found by a recent study.

9 Feb 2016