Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Time for TENSE (Teaching English to Native Speakers of English)?    

Time for TENSE (Teaching English to Native Speakers of English)?

spinney
United Kingdom

It definitely does look at cultural, and by default socio-linguistic aspects to communication in English for (mostly) comercial purposes and it does ask some interesting questions. There are certain expressions that my students are more comfortable than I am when it comes to Business and other aspects of professional English. Although, I think the problem sometimes is just the idea that some natives have that if somebody speaks English they are going to understand everything that �s said to them. I don �t think it is as deliberate as the article hints. This happens to me sometimes in Spanish.
As for cultural norms, I think there are many schools that offer courses on given social situations (do we kiss, touch, give gifts, say sorry etc.). Some cultures adapt and others don �t when working with other nationalities for whatever reason. I think sometimes my country doesn �t do so well in that regard but then again nor do a lot of others. I know that in Asia, it �s better to talk of misunderstandings between both parties rather than proportion blame for mistakes. 
Humour is always a difficult nut to crack when we mix cultures, let alone languages. Look at how "girl" or "boy" is used in both US and British English and the problems that creates. When it comes to Spnaish humour I find myself laughing at things now that I wouldn �t have laughed at 10 years ago, despite understanding all the vocab. I think, in that aspect, the writer makes a bit of a howler when he refers to "in-jokes" between the natives although there is certainly some truth in what he says.
By the way, I thought "ballpark figure" was a sporting idiom with a sporting origin. Mind you, I �ve noticed that with many "business" idioms, there always seems to be some kind of sporting or military origin.
Anyway, nice little article. 

12 Feb 2016     

douglas
United States

I �ve sometimes found this sort of "elitism" (somewhat reversed from the examples in the article) in language schools when I met native GB English  speakers and they heard my US English. They were much less willing to collaborate, etc., so I worked more with the non-native and US English speakers.

I realize "elitism" isn �t exactly the right word, but it does describe the projected attitudes that drove us "outsiders" to collaborate amongst ourselves and leave the "elites" out. (to our students � advantage and the others � loss)

Just my two cents,
Douglas

12 Feb 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

@ Douglas. I think the word you are looking forward is "snobbery" although I suspect you were being polite. Unfortunately, no nation has a monopoly on that kind of attitude (I �ve also been subject to rather questionable conduct from North Americans). Having said that, I used to correct things like "write me" and "on the weekend" when I first heard them as I genuinely thought they were wrong until an American colleague pointed out my error. I �m still trying to get used to the expression "good job" (as opposed to well done), though. If anybody gives you a hard time over "American English" in the future, it might be an idea to point out that more people speak that form of it than any other. In reality, the "World English" the article refers to is probably closer to American than British. It all makes it pretty damn fascinating, either way.

12 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Of course it was an ill-disguised attack on native English speakers and their presumed assumed superiority. This poster never misses a chance at that. I still don �t buy the stated premise - that native English people are losing deals because of this (whatever this is). It �s a terrible shame isn �t it almaz that Esperanto never took off. 

12 Feb 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

I have had Americans ask me "Why don �t you speak properly?" but I have to admit, there have been times when I have been shocked by some Brits � attitudes to our cousins across the pond. I mean fine if you want to take a stand against US foreign policy or something but their English is just as valid as our own.
Now when it comes to Esperanto, I really think one of the best things about English is its flexibilty as a language for beginners. As logical as Eperanto is, English just nails it as a world language. Now, the French ... 

12 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Here are a couple of interesting articles about business communication to add to the discussion:

To use purely anecdotal evidence, I have had many of my business English students say how much they distrust American business contacts & sales people. They believe they are liars, promising more than they are authorised to do, and using �hard sell � approaches with almost bullying language.

On the other hand, some of the foreigners I know (based outside of Japan) who do business with Japanese always say it �s hard to �pin someone down � to a sale in a short and direct way, and that Japanese people don �t say either �no � or �yes � without referring things further up the chain. This can create lengthy delays in contracts, ordering, and payment of commissions!
Language �snobbery � can be, and often is, used to conbtrol power within communications. I know English teachers here who use their native English to �steamroll � their Japanese counterparts into doing what they want, rather than compromising, because they are aware of the differences in cultural communications, and don �t want to �lose � their arguments.

Conversely, I have observed and personally experienced Japanese staff using their native language to abruptly halt any further discussion on topics, and also as a tool to shut down any challenge to their own authority in the workplace.

Elitism works both ways! 

12 Feb 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

@ Alien Boy - Exactly! Those kinds of people are found everywhere.

13 Feb 2016     

< Previous   1    2