Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Meg Ryan is one of the MANY or Few    

Meg Ryan is one of the MANY or Few

gportiglioti
Brazil

Meg Ryan is one of the MANY or Few

Hello dear all,

I have an exercise in the book which I cant � find a plausible explanation for my students. They �re supposed to complete the exercise with quantifiers. the alternative is:

Meg Ryan is one of the ____________ actresses who are both sweet and beautiful.

The answer is FEW, but couldn �t I use many as well?

Thank you all in advance!

14 Feb 2016      

titine69
France

Hello!
with "a few "it means that there is a small number of actresses who are both sweet and beautiful and Meg Ryan is one of them.
with"many"it means there is a big number of actresses who are sweet and beautiful and Meg is one of them.
I hope it �s the right explanation.
Titine 

14 Feb 2016     

gportiglioti
Brazil

Hello Titine69,

Thanks for your help! 

I �ve told them that, but since the sentence is out of context. Seems that both could be used. I don �t know. This one is a bit confusing.

Geovane P.

14 Feb 2016     

titine69
France

Geovane,let �s see what the native people think about it.

14 Feb 2016     

Minka
Slovenia

That does not depend on grammar (I think both options are correct) but on a personal view. Maybe you find many actresses both sweet and beautiful, maybe not. 

Sometimes the exercise is wrong, not the students or the teacher. A sentence like that needs a bit more context. It happens to me as well - I�m writing an exercise knowing exactly what I mean with a sentence and forgetting that the students cannot read my mind. 

14 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

To me you could use either  �few � or �many � and be correct, as long as you are accurately expressing your opinion.

Geovane, you �re absolutely correct that either can be used because there is no further context provided.

Cheers,
AB 

14 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

True - either could be used. Intuitively, I would go for �few �. The point being made is that most actresses are not both sweet and beautiful. (Most likely). 

15 Feb 2016     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

could it be "one of the fewest"?

15 Feb 2016     

gportiglioti
Brazil

Thank you so much for your help guys!!!

15 Feb 2016