Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Will or going to?    

Will or going to?

modelena
Italy

Will or going to?

Dear all,
please, can you help me with this doubt?
Which on his correct?

Fill in the sentence with the correct form: will or going to:
a)  They  ............................ (arrive) at the airport at 9 p.m. tomorrow.

Which one is correct: will arrive     or        are going to arrive?

Thank you in advance,
Kind regards,
Elena

17 Feb 2016      

amrodriguez
Spain

I ´d  say : They are going to arrive.....,

17 Feb 2016     

luckygirl_mx
Mexico

Hi dear user!

I usually explain my students that we use going to for things that are already planned, for example a plane arrival and will for things that we are not entirely sure about it for example the place of your next vacations.

The answer is going to beacause you are sure they are arriving at 9:00

hope it helps! :)

17 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think both are fine, but if I was the travel agent reporting to the hotel or something like that, I would say �They will arrive... � 

17 Feb 2016     

nassimproff
Algeria

I �d say �they are arriving   .........
  this is a planned action ,but it is a future arrangement. Arriving is planned and prepared before the time of speaking ,i  know the time of departure and arrival .according to the ticket for example

17 Feb 2016     

marioum
Tunisia

i totally agree with nassimproff. this is a planned action: present progressive+future word

17 Feb 2016     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

I think the present simple is also possible here if we refer to the plane schedule: they arrive at the airport...

17 Feb 2016     

franpancho
Spain

This is a tricky one. I think everybody is somehow correct because it would depend on the context, which we ignore.

However, if I found this question on a text I would choose WILL.

17 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with nassimproff, too, but that wasn �t one of the options. �They �ll be arriving � is also perfectly acceptable here. English is a weird language!Smile

17 Feb 2016     

franpancho
Spain

This is a tricky one. I think everybody is somehow correct because it would depend on the context, which we ignore.

However, if I found this question on a text I would choose WILL.

17 Feb 2016     

rapen
Morocco

I see that using "going to " would  fit appropriately into this context. That is to say, the action or the flight is already planned and scheduled. The specification of the time of the arrival of the plane for tomorrow at the airport is a good evidence of a pre-arranged planning.

17 Feb 2016     

1    2    Next >