Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > English day    

English day

1hpf
Israel

English day

Hi everyone,

I need some ideas for English day. We usually celebrate it with all kind of arts and craft ways. Love to hear about other ways you celebrate it, maybe something different.
Thanks,
Hanna

28 Feb 2009      

cheezels
New Zealand

What age do you teach?This activity is NOT for absolute beginners but for intermediate(ish)+ :

A great activity if you have access to an oven is to make english  scones (super easy and no fail!!!) the kids make them in groups step by step and then if you can get someone to bake them for you or you could bake them at lunch time (only around 10 mins per tray full to cook!)

Then you can role play out an english high tea. They can pretend it �s tea with teapots with water inside (or if older actually have some tea) while eating your scones and trying to talk about the day in english. (make it really posh, have them set the tables etc, sitting nicely at the table, talking politely, asking each other "would you like some jam for your scone" etc....

I have done this with great success before and they LOVED eating something that they had made. Of course you will talk about the tradition of english high tea before they start making scones. Its a great activity that breaks up a day in that you do the introduction and the making of the scones in one part of the day, and the role play and eating of the scones later on in the afternoon (when high tea would normally be taken)
And if you really wanted to go all out you could also include little plates of cucumber sandwiches (white bread with the crusts trimmed off with sliced cucumber inside) Tongue

EDIT:  forgot to add that this can be a really fun drama activity as I usually go overboard on the "posh" factor... I show them how to hold their teacups (with the little pinky finger sticking up) and to take dainty sips from the cup. Also how to nibble daintily from the cucumber sandwiches rather than gulp them down in two bites.... (Its really funny to watch the kids trying it!)

28 Feb 2009