Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching    

Teaching

loujein
Tunisia

Teaching

Which sentence is correct as far as tense is concerned?
-A recent survey reveals that that only one in four people under 30 can change a plug themselves.
- A recent survey has revealed that ..............................................................................
-A recent survey revealed that ........................................................................; 

23 Feb 2016      

SVieira
Portugal

I �d go for "A recent survey has revealed... (present perfect).

Present simple is not an option because the survey must be ready by now, so it was made in the past (and I don �t think the historical present applies to statistics - timeframe is very important in statistics).
Regarding the verb tenses that refer to the past, I think that present continuous is a better option than past simple, because the sentence directs us to a non-specified time in the past ("recent"); past simple would be adequate if you had any specific time ("last month", for instance).

Sandra

23 Feb 2016     

yanogator
United States

All three are correct.

Bruce 

23 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with Bruce.
Hi Bruce (Couldn �t find a waving hand)
Lynne