Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Beginning Reports made easy    

Beginning Reports made easy

slkchina
China

Beginning Reports made easy

I teach a class of 9 year-olds in China and I stumbled on an idea that I want to share with others and see what they think. I put an animal data set together telling the name of the animal, what continent it is found on, what it eats, how long it lives, and how many hours it sleeps. Every student gets the same data sheet but they each get a different animal on the data sheet. Then they just fill in the cloze for their animal. A picture of the animal goes on the other side of the paper--toward the audience. A sample report is given for guidance and structure. I have the students practice with each other in pairs or triads and then video the final result. I think it gives young kids confidence in making a very small report in front of the class and practice in speaking aloud. Using the video, I can talk about pronunciation, eye contact, standing still, holding the paper below their mouths, etc. BTW, I didn �t find all the data easily, so I made up the missing parts. Google is not accessible in China.

I did the same thing with countries and got the same good results, with students improving in their delivery.

I �ll also post this Data Sheet in the Printables section. 

Animal Data Sheet

Animal

How many years does this animal usually live?

How many hours does this animal usually sleep?

What does this animal usually eat?

Where does this animal normally live?

Elephant

Fruit, leaves, grass

Africa and Asia

Dolphin

Fish

All the oceans

Eagle

20-30

Mice and other small animals, fish

All over the world

Panda

Bamboo leaves

China

Kangaroo

Grass

Australia

Dog

Meat

All over the world

Snake

Rats, mice, bugs

All over the world

Giraffe

Leaves

Africa

Lions

Meat

Africa

Crocodile

fish, small animals

Mostly in Africa, Australia

Human

Fruits, meat, vegetables

All over the world

My animal is the human. It lives all over the world and eats fruits, meats, and vegetables. Humans live for about 75 years and sleep for about 7 to 9 hours a day.

My animal is the _______________________________. It lives in __________________________ and

eats ____________________________________________________________.

_________________________live for about _____________ years and sleep for about ________hours a

day.

2 Mar 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you for sharing this - excellent idea and ready-made resource!

2 Mar 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Thanks for sharing your idea.

This is perfect timing for me to use a modified version of this for my 1st graders. 

Cheers! 
AB 

2 Mar 2016     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Thank you.

That is great.

Probably a good activity for my 2nd-year middle school students in Japan, who, by the way, do the same things your students do when presenting (move around, look at the floor, hold paper in front of their faces etc).

It �s a good activity. 

2 Mar 2016     

nassira
Algeria

It �s a great idea.I have to teach my first year learners about animals next month.

3 Mar 2016     

georginasantanna
Portugal

That �s an excellent idea! And it can be adapted to other things.
Thank you so much for sharing! 

3 Mar 2016