Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > True or False?    

True or False?

kohai
Latvia

True or False?

Dear colleagues,
What do you think,
The following text mentions an exceptional kind of present? TRUE or FALSE?

Jerry becomes the richest kid in the world
Jerry Snowdon, young son of the Scottish multimillionaires Anna and Frank Snowdon, will wake up a very rich person tomorrow. Today the court is to decide that it is Jerry, and not his elder sister Bertha, who will inherit the family �s fortune. This fortune includes money deposits in more than 100 banks all over the world. Jerry �s sister is unable to take possession of the fortune because she is mentally ill.

6 Mar 2016      

Mariethe House
France

simple present used as future to make things more "present" . he will become the richest... it �s a figure of style.

6 Mar 2016     

kohai
Latvia

Dear Mariethe,
Thank you for being the first in trying to help...

I think I understand the text in general but I am not sure about T/F because I don �t know if in English we can speak about a present (=a gift) in the situation like it is described in the text. 

6 Mar 2016     

EstherLee76
Peru

Oh, this is tricky. The question is about an exceptional gift.  Is an inheritance a gift or a right?  I suppose we will have to answer the question "true" because I don �t think the question is aiming at a legal debate.  Rather it is looking to see if the student can infer that someone has received something very special when they read the passage.

Hope that helps. 

6 Mar 2016     

yanogator
United States

We do sometimes refer to anything that we receive, that we didn �t get for ourselves, as a present, so I guess it �s OK. I don �t much care for the question, though.

Bruce 

6 Mar 2016     

FrauSue
France

I agree with Bruce. i think the exercise wants the answer to be "true" as it shows that pupils have understood that Jerry will receive the money, but really I would answer "false" as an inheritance is not a present.

6 Mar 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, the question doesn�t make a lot of sense, so it�s possible that the confusion may lie in kohai�s understanding, or rather, framing of the original exercise. Have a look at page 2 (the reading comprehension) in this pdf of a workbook from Pearson Education Hungary:

6 Mar 2016     

Mariethe House
France

Oh my God! Aren �t silly! I was just thinking grammatically! Why they use the present tense! Why is it exceptionnal to use th present tense in this circumstance!! Sorry! Getting old!!t

6 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

When reporting cases, reporters and the like often use the present tense for future events. To save space in the title/header, or to make the situation more real? So it �s not an exceptional use. So I think Mariethe�s on the right track. Couldn�t get the pdf there, sorry. Unhappy

6 Mar 2016     

Mariethe House
France

Thank you Alex! This is much clearer now! it is a comprehension question !

@Lynne: here is the link again and you will understand what it �s all about!

In fact it is not a" true or false "exercise; it is a "match 2 of the questions" which go with each text.
there are 4 short texts and 9 questions . For each text the student must pick the two questions that describe it. 
In fact it �s the title of the exercise that is not correct!! Phew!!! 

6 Mar 2016     

kohai
Latvia

Sorry, I was out of Internet connection for some hours so couldn �t join in faster. Firstly, thank you all for joining in in order to help. All your thoughts are very very important for me, because I have to explain which one answer is correct and why to one of my best students... 
Esther, Bruce, FrauSue, your answers are extreamly helpful.
I am really sorry , dear Mariethe, Almaz and Lynne, for not making my question understandable enough. 

Almaz, yes, your link leads to the original exercise I didn �t even know it was possible to find it on the Net! I didn �t want to take a lot of space on the Forum so gave only one of the texts with T/F option because I wanted to know if this question (=an exceptional kind of present ?) matches with the text about Jerry (True in my interpretation) or it is an extra question (False).

6 Mar 2016     

1    2    3    Next >