Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Flash card game which can be done on the floor instead of on the table    

Flash card game which can be done on the floor instead of on the table

maggylww
Brunei Darussalam

Flash card game which can be done on the floor instead of on the table

Dear all,

I �d like to have a game activity with my student (only one child) with the help of flash cards, and, mostly importantly, to do this game while standing up, or sitting on the floor, instead of sitting around the table; which means I would make her hop, stretch, run, or step on/touch something. But that is just a unspecific idea, and I still haven �t got any clear plan yet. Do you guys have such kind of games and would you mind telling me some details of them? Oh, the teaching content is "what did you do yesterday", the flashcards are activities such as "played in the park", "watched TV", and "studied for my exam". Many ~many ~thanks~~~~   ^o^

14 Mar 2016      

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

I play this: I put the flashcards on the floor either in a circle or in a line with some gaps between them. Children jump from one to another and at the same time say what �s on the flashcard. I measure the time.  If he/she doesn �t know the picture, gets some extra seconds.

15 Mar 2016     

FrauSue
France

You can play a nice memory game with flashcards stuck on the walls around the room.

Start by drilling the  flashcards as usual.
Next, ask your pupil to stick them around the room (give them some blu-tac) and say each activity as they stick up the flashcard.
Then ask your pupil to sit in the centre of the room. S/He should point at each card in turn and say the activity.
Next, you say the activities but in a different order. The pupil must point to the card as quickly as possible. (You can also give the pupil a magic wand to point with or ask them to make a gun shape with their fingers as they point, if you are comfortable with that.)
Go back to the previous step, where your pupil points at the cards in turn and says the phrase. Run through this once as normal, then ask your pupil to close their eyes and repeat the activity. They should point to where they remember the card being.
As a final step, your pupil should be able to sit with their eyes cosed and point to the correct card when you say a certain phrase.

Why not challenge yourself and swap roles? The pupil can say the phrase and you have to point (with your eyes closed) - the pupil will tell you if you have remembered the position of the card correctly or not. 

15 Mar 2016     

maggylww
Brunei Darussalam

@martinasvabova @FrauSue    Thank both of you!!!!!!!!!!! These two games are really practical to the class and helpful to me!!!!!!

16 Mar 2016