Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A few, short questions    

A few, short questions

jagna255
Poland

A few, short questions

Hi,
I would like to make sure whether both forms are correct- I mean- "cannot" and "can not"?
Can we use "How long..." in questions in both present pefrect and present perfect continuous?
Is "good for you" also the synonym of word "congratulation"?

Thanks a lot for answers.

15 Mar 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Jagna,
I have only seen it written as �cannot �. 
�How long � with pres perf cont - fine. With pres perfect, not too sure that �s right. How long have you done this? � ..Mmm,  maybe if you add, �for �.
I think �good for you! � conveys a similar meaning to �congratulations! � It is informal and you �d only say it to a friend. It�s usually used in a situation where you have shown a bit of pluck/courage in adversity. �I told that bully exactly what I thought of her!�  �Good for you!�
�I have passed my driving test!� �Congratulations!� Congratulations - something a person has achieved, or a wedding announcement, getting a job... That kind of thing. 
�I got the job!� �Congratulations!�
�I kept trying. In fact, I applied for that job 15 times and eventually my efforts paid off. �Well, good for you.� 

15 Mar 2016     

maryse pey�
France

About can + not :

1st combination : I cannot = I can �t do, that is to say : I have no possibility to do even if I want ! THE MODAL IS NEGATIVE;

2nd combinattion : I can         not do = I can decide not to do if I want ! THE MODAL IS AFFIRMATIVE AND THE VERB IS NEGATIVE IN ITS MEANING;

15 Mar 2016     

yanogator
United States

How long have you had a dog?

How long have you lived here?

Yes, "how long" can be used with the present perfect.

Bruce 

15 Mar 2016     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Just to add a short note to support what�maryse pey said about [can not].

Although I would never write this with the intention of using it this way, I would, using clear and deliberate intonation, say...
I can (pause in speech) not do it.
My meaning would be...
(1)�
I am allowed or permitted to refrain from doing it.
Or, I do not have to do it.
(2)
It is a reasonable option not to�do it.
As I said, though, I would never put this in writing (except in a casual way where I could write big speech marks or an underline for the �not �). As we cannot hear what is written, we cannot pick up on the intonation, facial expression etc.

15 Mar 2016     

jagna255
Poland

Thank you very much for your explanation and effort. Now everything
is clear. Have a nice day:) and thanks a lot again.

15 Mar 2016