Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar doubt    

Grammar doubt

catiahenriques
Portugal

Grammar doubt

Hi everyone,

I �m tecahing phrasal vebs and I have a dout with go back in the past which I thought it was went back but in course book key says that it got back.
The exercise is:

Replace the word in bold with the correct phrasal verb.

My father returned home very late yesterday. 

Which one is correct? 

Can you help me?

Thanks

Catia

17 Apr 2016      

mametmidou
Algeria

dear catia if you have go back you put went back but if you have get back you put got back and both go back and get back have the same meaning 

17 Apr 2016     

Apodo
Australia

Replace the word in bold with the correct phrasal verb.
My father returned home very late yesterday.

For this sentence �got back � is the correct phrase. This is from the speaker �s point of view observing the father �s return.

My father went back home is from the point of view of the person observing his/her father �s departure from somewhere else to go home.

18 Apr 2016     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

I think you �d  better  replace "returned" by "came back" considering that the speaker is supposed tohave been at home.

18 Apr 2016     

FrauSue
France

Apodo explains it clearly: "went back" suggests that he left me to go home, whereas "got back" and "came back" suggest that I was waiting at home and he then arrived there.

18 Apr 2016