Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Would you give me your opinion about this question?    

Would you give me your opinion about this question?

brightndark
Korea, South

Would you give me your opinion about this question?

This is one of English questions in a school. I am not sure what the answer is, so I would like to ask this question to many teachers.

Q: Which underlined one refers to the different thing compared with other 4 underlined ones?

The ( A ) Know-it-alls wondered how things had turned out so differently in (B) their two lands.

(C) Their leaders came forward and asked the Find-it-outs

how each person could be so different but still live a good life.

The Find-it-outs smiled and said,

"Oh! We have a simple way of living and teaching.

If we don �t know the answer,

we ask a question and find it."

Now the Know-it-alls realized

that there were a lot more things in the world that (D) they did not know of.

And it helped to ask questions and share knowledge.

Asking questions didn �t mean (E) they were foolish or slow to learn ;

it meant they were becoming smarter.

They promised never to build a wall again between the two lands.

5 May 2016      

yanogator
United States

C is the different one. It refers to the Find-it-outs, while the others refer to the Know-it-alls. It isn �t well written, though, because C happens immediately after a sentence about the Know-it-alls, so it is ambiguous. I think this question shouldn �t be used because of the ambiguity.

Bruce 

5 May 2016     

brightndark
Korea, South

Dear Bruce,
Thank you for your explanation!
I think (C) refers to Know-it-alls because I think the subject of the next clause: �and asked the Find-it-outs � is  Know-it-alls.
Does this make sense?
I also think this question is not clear and good one.
One of my students asked me the answer of this question. I am not sure what to tell him.

Thanks again for your response :) 

5 May 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

If I understand your question correctly, C, D and E refer exclusively to the Know-it-alls, whereas B refers to both the Know-it-alls and the Find-it-outs. Unless the Know-it-alls have two lands...

Alex 

I�m assuming there is a missing underlining at B. And A?

5 May 2016     

grevillea
Australia

I disagree with Bruce.

But firstly it is a bad question.
For B - their two lands - "their two lands" are the lands of the Know-it-alls and the Find-it-outs.  So "their" must refer to both groups.  It is bad because the "Find-it -outs" have not been previously referenced.
For C, "their leaders" = the leaders asked the "Find it outs", so they cannot be the "Find-it-outs"; they must be the "Know-it-alls".
For D, "they" refers to the "Know it alls" who just realised something.
For E, it is not clear whether "they" refers to the "Know it alls" who previously thought that asking questions themselves would mean they themselves were stupid, or to the "Find it outs" whom the "Know it alls" previously regarded as being stupid for always asking questions.

So, I think the best answer is B - for a bad question.

5 May 2016     

yanogator
United States

Thanks for the corrections, friends. I �m changing my answer.

B definitely refers to both groups.
C definitely refers to the Know-it-alls
D definitely refers to the Know-it-alls
E is unclear, as grevillea said. I think it is part of the Find-it-outs � answer, and is referring to the both groups, and to anyone who asks questions. However, to make it possible to answer the question, it must refer to the Know-it-alls.

So I agree with grevillea and Alex, that the answer is B 

Bruce 

5 May 2016     

brightndark
Korea, South

Thank you so much! Every teacher �s comment really helped me understand this question and its quality. I appreciate all of comments.

5 May 2016