Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Medieval fair    

Medieval fair

aura+
Portugal

Medieval fair

Hello everyone!

I need your help - again!
Our school is organizing a medieval fair, which will take place in June. The teachers of History have asked us (teachers of English) to join the fair and participate with activities in English, but all within medieval context. Any suggestions for a simple activity?�

Thanks

aura

2 Mar 2009      

Logos
Malaysia

Have the teachers dressed up and put them in stocks (This is a piece of wood which is just big enough for your head and two hands so that you are trapped and can �t escape) and then have the kids throw wet sponges at the teachers.

So, what has this to do with English?  Absolutely nothing, but it will be great fun for the kids!!!

2 Mar 2009     

aura+
Portugal

The kids would love that, I �m sure! �I have some students who would really love that gift: the opportunity to make me pay for my being too strict sometimes. �I would prefer the other way round: the sponge in my hand...

Thanks but, NO THANKS!

2 Mar 2009     

S�lvia73
Portugal

Maybe you could create something related to King Arthur... ask the art teachers to help and build a "sword in the stone", for example. You could even have your sts perform a little play about it...

2 Mar 2009     

Bruno Andrade
Brazil

You should make a story-telling/reading class on the Knights of the Round Table (King Arthur, remember?)
Tell them about the Knights � code of chivalry. That was:
  • To never do outrage nor murder
  • Always to flee treason
  • To by no means be cruel but to give mercy unto him who asks for mercy
  • To always do ladies, gentlewomen and widows succor
  • To never force ladies, gentlewomen or widows
  • Not to take up battles in wrongful quarrels for love or worldly goods

Depending on age and interest you can have them make a theater play.

:)

I hope it helps!

** donwload my work **

2 Mar 2009     

aura+
Portugal

Thanks for the suggestions!

2 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Here �s a couple of potentially useful resources for you:

Medieval recipes - just in case your students would like to make some food & provide recipes for those who try their wares!

This page has all sorts of links for medieval music. You may be able to get some lyrics so your students could perform an (updated) authentic medieval song.

This link has some cool flashcards & some activities for your students too:

Good luck!

2 Mar 2009     

ameliarator
United States

I remember one interesting activity from when I studied the Middle Ages as a child/teen:
We had a project where we designed a coat of arms for ourselves, after learning about the symbols used and what they represented. �Then we wrote about/presented our coat of arms and why we had chosen the colors/symbols we used. �A similar lesson plan can be found here:

http://www.storyboardtoys.com/gallery/coat-of-arms-lesson-plan.htm

Also, if I remember correctly, puppet shows were popular in the Middle Ages. �Puppets are easy enough to make (can you tell I like craft projects? ;) ) and grate for performing simple stories in English. �I also like puppets because shy students may feel more comfortable performing if their faces are hidden.

This sounds like a fun project; I hope you get some good ideas and enjoy working on it!

2 Mar 2009     

apedral
Brazil

Dear Aura

I had a project like this last year and I asked them to build a castle.

You will find instructions at :  http://www.yourchildlearns.com/castle.htm

I also gave them Knights � code of chivalry and asked them to design their own coat of arme.
 They loved it !!!

Good luck

Angela

2 Mar 2009     

seemaj
Oman

Hi,

I don �t know if this would help, But you could get students to speak in medieval english and get participants to translate it into modern day english. and they get a prize for it!

2 Mar 2009     

douglas
United States

You could have the students write a couple of short plays (help them to make the English sound more medieval) and then let them act it out in costume on a recurring schedule.  I love the short performances that occur as I walk through medieval faires.

Douglas

2 Mar 2009     

1    2    Next >