Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help is needed: wish sentences    

Help is needed: wish sentences

diadora
Turkey

Help is needed: wish sentences

I know that something is annoying you. I wish you ____ what it is maybe. I can help you.

A) to tell    B) tell     C) told     D) will tell

I am hesitating between two answers. They are A and C. Can you, dear colleagues prove your answers with exact grammar rules. The two answers seem the same meaning to me. I can �t differentiate between them. Please, show grammar sources.

15 May 2016      

Apodo
Australia

I know that something is annoying you. I wish you ____ what it is maybe. I can help you.

Check the position of �maybe �, and �me � is needed here. This is the best sounding answer is:

I wish you would tell me what it is. Maybe I can help you. 

15 May 2016     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Apodo. If it had been "I want", then A would be correct, but we use "would" after "wish"

I wish it would stop raining.
I wish he would return my call.
I wish she would tell me what she wants.

It doesn �t have to be "would", of course, Other conditional forms work, too.
I wish I had a million dollars.
I wish you could visit me.

Bruce 

15 May 2016     

diadora
Turkey

Everything is given correctly. According to Oxford Advanced Learner �s Dictionary, there is also construction "wish smb to do" besides "want smb to do". That is why I am hesitating.

15 May 2016     

yanogator
United States

Yes, I realize now that my answer was incomplete.

"I wish you to ..." is a way of requesting a person to do something. It is stronger than "I wish you would...", which is a statement of what the speaker would like to happen, but not quite a request.

"I wish you to run an errand for me" is about the same as "Please run an errand for me". In your sentence, "I wish you would tell me" is an invitation to tell me your problem. If the speaker said "I wish you to tell me", it would be a little rude, because it would be requesting that the person reveal some personal information. If the speaker knows the troubled person well enough to actually ask to be told, than he/she would use a less formal way of requesting it.

I hope this makes it a little clearer.  You could grammatically defend choice A, but a native speaker wouldn �t say it that way.

Bruce 

15 May 2016     

FrauSue
France

I find it strange that the given sentence comes from an official exercise. The punctuation is wrong.
In my opinion, it should be: I wish you would tell me what it is. Maybe I can help you. 
I agree with Bruce that "to tell" is grammatically correct but comes across as stilted and potentially rude.
I wish you to tell me what it is. Maybe I can help you. 

16 May 2016     

FrauSue
France

If you were regretting a missed opportunity in the past, you would use "had told."

I didn �t know you were so ill. I wish you had told me. I could have helped you out more. (This implies that now it is too late to do anything.) 

16 May 2016