Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What kind of construction is it7    

What kind of construction is it7

poroxod
Uzbekistan

What kind of construction is it7

I didn �t understand this construction in bold.

1.      Everyone who ate lobster at the Purple Dolphin Restaurant got very sick a few hours later. They must have gotten food poisoning.

I know that there are "get smth done" "I got my car repaired" or "get smth doing" in the meaning to do smth: Can you really get that old car going.
But the above mentioned construction doesn �t suit them.

I think it should be  " They must have gotten food which is poisoned". Please, explain this construction in detail.

20 May 2016      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Food poisoning is a standard phrase for illness from eating food which is poisoned (contaminated by toxins or infectious bacteria).

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/food-poisoning/basics/definition/con-20031705

The construction is noun + gerund.  The gerund, poisoning, is formed from the verb poison +ing ending.

A similar construction is barn raising (a gathering of neighbors to build a barn for someone in their community).

Also house raising (elevating a house) and house-raising (neighbors collaboratively buidling a house for someone in the community) and water skiing, ice skating, sky diving, fly fishing, dumpster diving.

20 May 2016     

ninon100
Russian Federation

IMHO, food poisoning is a compound noun.

The construction is a modal + perfect infinitive.

MUST = modal verb, have gotten = perfect infinitive (without to)

It means: "I �m sure (about 80-90% sure) they �ve eaten something bad which upset their stomachs."

"To get food poisoning" is a VERB+NOUN collocation, meaning "to feel ill after eating food which contains harmful bacteria".

21 May 2016     

Manuhk
Hong Kong

IMHO the construction is a modal verb (must) used in the past tense (have + past participle). 
I agree with redcamarocruiser that "food poisoning" is a compound noun here: 
They (subject) must have gotten (verb = past modal) food poisoning (object = compound noun).

21 May 2016     

Minka
Slovenia

The last one could be 
 They must have gotten ___
They must ahave gotten flu.  
They must have gotten food poisoning. 

22 May 2016     

Jayho
Australia

Food poisoning is as a result of contaminated/spoiled/toxic food and we say that it is off or it has gone bad

whereas 

Poisoned food
is where actual poison has been added to food (by mistake or for sinister reasons [think of those old B/W movies where someone adds poison(eg arsenic) to food/drink to kill someone].

They must have gotten food poisoning = correct

They must have gotten [eaten] food which was poisoned = incorrect in your context (unless it was an Agatha Christie story and someone is meant to die)

They must have gotten [eaten] food which was bad/off/spoiled/contaminated = correct

Cheers

Jayho

22 May 2016     

Gi2gi
Georgia

I was just wondering, wouldn�t a British speaker, or an Australian speaker, have said �got� instead of �gotten �? Isn �t �gotten � mostly used in US English?

22 May 2016     

Jayho
Australia

Yes Gi2gi. Gotten is not commonly used in the land downunder but we fully understand it, teach it and some do use it.

Cheers

Jayho

22 May 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, Giorgi, most Brits would say �got �. 

22 May 2016     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Jayho, Lynne  thanks

22 May 2016