Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Abstract revision- civil engineering    

Abstract revision- civil engineering

elisabetegomes
Portugal

Abstract revision- civil engineering

Dear friends,

Once again I come to you for help. My son �s girlfriend is writing her thesis on civil engineering and asked me to translate the Abstract as she has to subdue the whole thing next week. Would you be so king and revise it for me, please? It �s a rather difficult subject, a field where I don �t feel comfortable at all. 

Thank you so much in advance

PS. Tabique walls are a Portuguese type of partition walls 

Elisabete Gomes 

Abstract

Tabique walls are walls made of wood and are rather common in old buildings which should be regarded, for the sake of this dissertation, as buildings which withhold typically resistant walls of stone masonry and wooden floors, built using traditional techniques and local materials. Though they are mostly partition walls, they frequently act structurally both because of the characteristics of the buildings and the time-related degradation of structural elements. An example may be tabique walls transversally positioned under the beams of a pavement which, due to degradation and/or fluidity, ends up leaning on those walls, conferring them structural functions.

Not only on account of these reasons but also because they are part of a rather valuable technical, material and cultural building process it is very important to learn about the mechanical and performance characteristics of these walls in order to guarantee their safety and promote their preservation in a sustained way in building rehabilitation.

The target of this thesis is to enhance the knowledge of the mechanical characteristics of tabique walls and more specifically to evaluate the experimental behaviour of these reduced thickness wooden walls when subject to horizontal actions, thus assessing their role in the performance of the constructions where they exist. Therefore, it begins with the characterization of two types of tabique walls particularly abundant in old buildings in Portugal: simple and double tabique walls, i.e., with a line of vertical planks or with a second line of diagonal planks overlapping the former. Afterwards, a testing campaign to the cut in the plane with constant compression on a set of 4 types of simple tabique walls and 4 of double tabique, representative of 8 full-scale walls without plaster coating. These walls had been previously submitted to simple compression tests as part of another trial.

Analysing the outcome enabled not only achieving the ultimate objective of the thesis, in other words, understanding the cut performance of tried types of tabique walls, but also calibrating a numerical model built by other subjects for behaviour simulation of these walls to simple compression and to horizontal actions.

KEYWORDS: Rehabilitation, Tabique construction, Partition walls, Experimental behaviour, Shear

24 Jun 2016      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Elisabete,
I think this one will need input from a few of us before you can declare it finished.
First, I �ll point out that she will submit it, not subdue it. Those are two very different words.
Here are my suggested changes. Some of the words aren �t clear enough for me to suggest changes. Please provide the Portuguese text, so maybe I can figure it out with the help of a dictionary.

Tabique walls are walls made of wood and are rather common in old buildings which should be regarded, for the sake of this dissertation, as buildings which contain typically sturdy walls of stone masonry and wooden floors, built using traditional techniques and local materials. Though they are mostly partition walls, they frequently act structurally both because of the characteristics of the buildings and the time-related deterioration of the structural elements. An example may be tabique walls transversely positioned under the beams of a floor which, due to deterioration and/or expanding and contracting, ends up leaning on those walls, giving them structural functions.

Not only for these reasons, but also because they are part of a rather valuable technical, material and cultural building process, it is very important to learn about the mechanical and performance characteristics of these walls in order to guarantee their safety and promote their preservation in a sustained way in building rehabilitation.

The aim of this thesis is to enhance the knowledge of the mechanical characteristics of tabique walls and more specifically to evaluate the experimental behaviour of these reduced thickness wooden walls when subject to horizontal forces, thus assessing their role in the performance of the constructions where they exist. Therefore, it begins with the characterization of two types of tabique walls particularly abundant in old buildings in Portugal: simple and double tabique walls, i.e., with a line of vertical planks or with a second line of diagonal planks overlapping the former. Afterwards, a testing campaign to cut into the plane with constant pressure on a set of 4 types of simple tabique walls and 4 of double tabique, representative of 8 full-scale walls without plaster coating. These walls had been previously subjected to simple compression tests as part of another trial.

Analysing the outcome enabled not only achieving the ultimate objective of the thesis, in other words, understanding the cut performance of tested types of tabique walls, but also calibrating a numerical model built by other subjects for behaviour simulation of these walls to simple compression and to horizontal forces.

Bruce 

24 Jun 2016     

elisabetegomes
Portugal

Hello, Bruce.

First of all, thank you so much.

Seconmd, as to your suggestions:
sturdy is great, I think, as the Portuguese word  "resistente"  means strong; deteoration is perfect and as to pavement, I was wronged by the false friend, it must be the word "floor"- in Portuguese, "pavimento, chão"; as to the word "fluidity", in Portuguese, "fluência". Ir refers to the wood when it shrinks or swells.  Could it be creep
 Paragraph 3: "Em particular, pretende-se avaliar o comportamento experimental destas paredes de madeira de espessura reduzida quando submetidas a ações horizontais" the words in italics refer to horizontal forces (Newton unit of force)

Thank you so much once again. 

Elisabete Gomes

24 Jun 2016     

yanogator
United States

Hi again, Elisabete,
I have revised my previous post, based on your explanations. I �m pretty happy with it now, but I would still like to hear from some others. We usually do a great job as a team. There might be a technical term for expanding and contracting, but I don �t know it, being a mathematician and not an engineer.

Bruce 

24 Jun 2016     

yanogator
United States

I was reading it again, and realized that I had forgotten to change "target" to "aim", so I �ve made that change now.

Bruce 

24 Jun 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

It sounds very good to me but I am not sure about �subjects �. Do you mean fields (as in academic areas of study)?

24 Jun 2016     

elisabetegomes
Portugal

I actually meant people/ authors. I guess I should replace subjects by authors
 Thanks to both of you! I really am extremely grateful.  

Elisabete Gomes 

24 Jun 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I suggest replacing the word �subjects �with �researchers �  or �engineers � (or whatever the proper name of their profession is).

24 Jun 2016     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Mary. They are engineers (or something similar) more than authors.

Bruce 

25 Jun 2016