Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > rephrasing    

rephrasing

Pedro14
Spain

rephrasing

25 Jun 2016      

yanogator
United States

1 is good. Your explanation of the difference is correct,, but not a hard rule. Yes, the second is more general, but the first can also be used in a general sense. The second is usually not used in a specific sense, though.
2 - good
3 - good.
4 is wrong. You can say "almost no milk" but not "almost any milk" . Yes, "There is hardly any milk in the jug" is correct.
5 . Maybe British English is different, but we wouldn �t say "mind to lower" in the US. I would say "Would you lower your voice, please?"
6. Helen asked me how much admission to the gallery is. (Your example didn �t use an indirect question" 
7 - good

Bruce 

25 Jun 2016     

FrauSue
France

Your first one - This exercise is a waste of time.
I agree with Bruce on "prefer."
For the sentence with "lower," your suggestion of "Would you mind lowering your voice" is, in my opinion, the only correct option.
Bruce is right for the "admission" question, but you could also say, "Helen asked me how much it cost/costs to get into the gallery."

26 Jun 2016     

FrauSue
France

1. We know that you were the only person to see the accident.
2. You could use "as a result of" in this sentence.
3. I think that your student�s answer is better than your option. We usually use past simple with "if" or "if only" and follow it with "would" in the conditional clause. If my children helped me more, I would be happy. If only my children helped me more, I �d be happy.

27 Jun 2016     

Pedro14
Spain

Thanks, FrauSue, I thought "If only" was similar to "wish", which sometimes is, but not in this example. My student keeps bringing more handouts with rephrasing sentences, so I feel I will keep on bothering you with some of them. Thanks for your time and assistance.

27 Jun 2016     

yanogator
United States

Well, Pedro, as you see, this use of "if only" has a wish, but its grammatical function is just like "if", because there is a consequence. So now you know more about "if only" than you did before, but it �s just an expansion of what you already knew, rather than something completely new.

Bruce 

27 Jun 2016     

Apodo
Australia

1. John has his sights set on being an airline pilot.
2. I ....talked mum into letting... me go to the concert.
3.I always make a point of being on time. 
I ... can �t help laughing at ... his jokes. ( NOT with - we laugh with somebody, at jokes)
5.  He has chosen the worst possible time to fix the roof. / This is the worst possible time for him to have chosen to fix the roof.
6.I regret ... how much I paid ... for these shoes.
7.He �ll get around to fixing the door one day. 
8. The painters will have finished painting the house by Saturday.  

27 Jun 2016     

Pedro14
Spain

Thanks a million Apodo. I appreciate your help a lot. Have a nice day!

28 Jun 2016