Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Icebreaker for the first day of class - advanced level    

Icebreaker for the first day of class - advanced level

LauD
Argentina

Icebreaker for the first day of class - advanced level

Hi everybody!
I need ideas for the first day of class with an advanced level. What warmers can I use? Any original and motivating game? Any idea to make introductions fun keeping up to the level?
I appreciate your help!
Thanks a lot :)

3 Mar 2009      

Naranjas
Russian Federation

You can use one of the wonderful speaking board games from this site - You �ll break the ice and check their knowledge while they �ll be enjoying themselves.
You can also make a game when they should take an interview about some topic(they should have different sets of questions) and than report the statistics. Better when the questions are really funny or challenging.
You can play a game when you write 4 sentences about yourself and they should guess which one is false(true if you wish) and then write the same about themselves...
There are miriads of ways to start!!!Wink

3 Mar 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

Here is exactly the answer I posted in reply to a very similar question by  DINIFLOWER, on Feb 13
Hope this helps
-------------------------------------------------------------
What I usually do with first classes is some pair work - by the way these first classes are always a great pleasure as you, as a teacher,  are getting to know other students, and similarly students themselves are getting to know each other

In this pair work activity, students  are given a set of questions prepared in advance (for instance. tell us, as much as you  can, about yourself, how long have you been learning English, where, what are your motivations, Have you ever been to an English speaking country, what are your priorities of study, how often are you exposed to English, what do you do outside to maintain your English, what areas  in English are you more / less at ease with, what attitudes do you have towards correction, what are your future projects, in the short term and in the long term, tell us about your interests.... among many other examples)
Just make sure student A �s questions are differnet from students B �s.

The interest of this pair work activity is that it definitely encourages the shy students to do some speaking when answering their partner�s questions. Obviously, when a student is answering a question, his partner is supposed to take notes because once they both have covered all the questions, they then introduce each other to the group (Students A introducing  student B and  vice versa)

Believe me, this pair work activity always takes me  at least two long hours  with a group of 15 students for example

You, as teacher, will check if they are speaking English only,  when they are doing the activity, and maybe help them with vocabulary or any other questions

Later on, when introducing each other, you may point out a few mistakes - I would always focus on the major ones -  and ask the student to correct it himself

Do this -correction - only at the end  (no need to interrupot them while speaking) and adults do appreciate being corrected, this is what mine  always tell me

There are many other alternatives: writing a set of questions on the board or projecting them and ask students  to introduce themselves (but this is less interactive) or do some placement test or grammar diagnosis, but I would not recommand the latter for a first classes

Hope this helps

3 Mar 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hi Laud,

Here is a site with different icebreakers.

http://www.kimskorner4teachertalk.com/classmanagement/icebreakers.html#Who

Hope it �s useful!!

Nebal

3 Mar 2009     

LauD
Argentina

Thanks a lot to ALL of you  Smile

3 Mar 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

I just found this one in onestopenglish, and thought i could post it in a thread with icebreakers. And this is the one:

Caravan or cruise liner?
by Camilla Mayhew
Skills: Speaking
Objective: For students to learn something about their new classmates and teacher;
To introduce new vocabulary
Level: Pre-intermediate to Proficiency
Time: 20�40 mins
Age group: Any
Materials: Teacher prepared worksheet of ten questions

Preparation

Make one copy of the worksheet per pair or small group (you may wish to adapt the worksheet for your class).
Procedure
When faced with a new group of students, you might wonder exactly how you�re going to make a good start. This is an idea I keep coming back to, as it�s fun, versatile and fulfils one of the major requirements of a first lesson: that the students go away feeling they have learnt something new.

and here �s the link:
http://www.onestopenglish.com/section.asp?catid=58148&docid=156839

12 Jun 2009