Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I hope reading can help or I hope to read can help ? Please, help me!!!!    

I hope reading can help or I hope to read can help ? Please, help me!!!!

Aliona R
Ukraine

I hope reading can help or I hope to read can help ? Please, help me!!!!

Dear colleges, I need your help!!! I know that "hope" must use with infinitive but can I use it with -ing in this sentence? I hope reading can help you.

27 Sep 2016      

lurdesilva
Portugal

" I hope reading can help" is correct.

For example,  if you want to improve your English, reading can be a solution. Therefore "I hope reading can help you improve your English".
 The -ing form in this case  is the object of the verb.

27 Sep 2016     

FrauSue
France

lurdesilva is right.

In your example sentence, "reading" is not a verb linked to hope, but a noun - the subject of the phrase "reading can help you."
In fact, your sentence could also be written as "I hope that reading can help you."
If you wanted to use "to read" after hope, it would be in a sentence such as "I hope to read War and Peace next year." 

27 Sep 2016     

marzouga
Morocco

the first one is correct bec, as FrauSue  said ,reading is a noun not a verb.It is a subject  to the verb help.

27 Sep 2016     

Aliona R
Ukraine

Thank you so much for your help))) I �m so happy to be with you here!!! I wish you grateful students)))

27 Sep 2016     

MoodyMoody
United States

The grammatical term for an -ing verb used as a noun is gerund, if you want to look it up. Everything said above is correct.

28 Sep 2016