Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Passive or active?    

Passive or active?

Minka
Slovenia

Passive or active?

Hello!
I would like to ask for help related to the use of the passive voice. 
There is this exercise with the instructions "Choose the better option."
One of the examples was:

They were driving too fast.  

a) The police stopped them
b) They were stopped by the police.  

Now which of the two is better and WHY?

Thank you so much.  

16 Oct 2016      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

if it �s a news report, then passive would be a better choice as it �s more formal... Also with the passive the focus is more on the fact that it happened to "them", I guess...
More here

16 Oct 2016     

Minka
Slovenia

Thank you. 
The link doesn �t work though (404...).
I �m still not sure how to explain to my students that one is better than the other as such.
I �m not sure I believe that myself.  

16 Oct 2016     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Minka, I would be confused, too. From the options you have provided either would be correct and whether one would be "better" than another is a matter of style or a very "fine" "rule"/reasoning that resides in the shrewd minds of the test compilers :) .  I �ve heard some stylists maintain that "the passive is always a bad choice"... but... who cares?! Sophia gave some nice views why one might feel inclined to choose the option (b).... Anyway, if I were given the same test I would just roll my eyes in despair :/

16 Oct 2016     

Minka
Slovenia

Thank you so much, both of you :D

16 Oct 2016     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Sophia and Giorgi, and definitely say that the passive is sometimes the best choice.

In the US, at least, we use the passive more often in this situation. I think it is, as Sophia said, it puts the focus on the speeders, rather than on the police. That choice isn �t necessarily "better", just what we do naturally.

Bruce 

16 Oct 2016     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Both are grammatically correct.

The active one (a)  is more usual when speaking/informally  while the one in passive voice is commonly used in reports/news or any formal written text.

16 Oct 2016     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

sorry about the link:(
anyways, it was just a link to search results of googling "when is passive a better choice" 

17 Oct 2016     

Minka
Slovenia

Never mind :) 
I appreciate your help.

17 Oct 2016