Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > compound adjective structure     

compound adjective structure

noorhamza
Tunisia

compound adjective structure

Good morning

What is the compound adjective of the sentence: "a man with a lovely smile"?

Is it correct to say: a lovely-smiling man? 

19 Oct 2016      

yanogator
United States

It really isn �t possible. The closest would be "a lovely-smiled man", but that doesn �t work well at all.

Bruce 

19 Oct 2016     

L. habach
Morocco

What about: a lovely-smiling man?

19 Oct 2016     

yanogator
United States

I think lovely-smiling works grammatically, but no one would ever use it. This really can �t be done.

Bruce 

19 Oct 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Bruce. 

19 Oct 2016     

Jayho
Australia

Agree - grammatically correct, yes, natural usage, no

19 Oct 2016     

normandey
Egypt

On the contrary, I think a lovely smiling man is correct. I have seen this phrase in Longman dictionary; " • a roomful of smiling children " .

I also saw it repeated too many in Google images.

19 Oct 2016     

dany.Tunisia 123
Tunisia

the ruleis adjective +noun+ed
so the best answer would be a lovely-smiled man whereas there is no need for a compound adjctive here as the structure that is most often used is a man with a lovely smile 

20 Oct 2016     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Great question.

My colleagues who are Japanese speakers of English often ask questions to which I can only answer as Bruce did.
Yes, it is correct, according to the rules, but we would never say it.
I ask the same kind of questions about Japanese, so I guess this is not �an English thing �.

20 Oct 2016     

Apodo
Australia

A lovely smiling man means a lovely man who is smiling.

This is different from a man with a lovely smile.

So are you describing the man as lovely or the smile? The smile I think. So my preference is for the man with a lovely smile to avoid ambiguity and because it sounds more natural. 

20 Oct 2016     

yanogator
United States

@dany
Yes, the "rule" is adjective+noun+ed, but not every noun can be used in this way.

A man with long arms is a long-armed man.
A woman with a tall hat is a tall-hatted woman.
This is because "armed" can mean "having arms" and "hatted" can be taken to mean "wearing a hat". However, we just don �t see "smiled" as meaning "having a smile". I think it might be because "smile" is as much a verb as a noun, so "smiled" feels like a past participle rather than an adjective formed from the noun. That �s just my impression, not based on anything grammatical.

Bruce 

20 Oct 2016     

1    2    Next >