Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Use of whereas    

Use of whereas

elisabetegomes
Portugal

Use of whereas

Dear colleagues,

I have read different information about the use of Whereas at the beginning of a sentence in several grammars and websites. Could you please give me your opinion on whether it can be placed at the beginning or not?

e.g. Whereas some people say that controlling your spending may get difficult, others believe that instituting a budget is doable.

Thank you so much in advance

Elisabete Gomes 

25 Oct 2016      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Hi Elisabete,

It is fine to begin a sentence with whereas.

http://grammarist.com/usage/whereas/ has a couple of sentences that do just that. 

25 Oct 2016     

yanogator
United States

Mary is right.
Also, "whereas" is considered a formal word, at least in the US, and we are more likely to use "although" or "while" in that sentence. "Whereas" is definitely correct and doesn �t sound at all strange, but it isn �t as common as "although" or "while", except in legal documents.

Bruce 

26 Oct 2016     

elisabetegomes
Portugal

Hello,Mary and Bruce,

Thank you so much.  I did find some examples but also contradictory information. Now, I feel reassured. 
Elisabete  

26 Oct 2016     

yanogator
United States

Hi, Elisabete,
Could you give us the contradictory information you found? We might have an explanation that would reconcile the apparent contradiction.

Bruce 

26 Oct 2016     

elisabetegomes
Portugal

Hi,Bruce.

Here it goes:

IELTS Grammar: �however � and �whereas �
You can �t use �however � and �whereas � in the same way. Follow these general rules in order to avoid grammar mistakes:
Use �however � (followed by a comma) at the beginning of a sentence to contrast with the previous sentence:
  • Some people believe that schools are responsible for the behaviour of their students. However, others argue that discipline is the responsibility of parents.
Use �whereas � (after a comma) to contrast two ideas in the same sentence:
  • Some people believe that schools are responsible for the behaviour of their students, whereas others argue that discipline is the responsibility of parents.
  • You can use �on the other hand � or �by contrast � in the same way as �however �. You can use �while � instead of �whereas �.
 And also:

whereas

conj

(coordinating) but on the other hand: I like to go swimming whereas Sheila likes to sail.

sentence connector but NOT SHOWING CONTRAST

(in formal documents to begin sentences) it being the case that; since

26 Oct 2016