Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A plain colour ball    

A plain colour ball

apayala
Spain

A plain colour ball

Maybe a silly question, but... A plain colour ball means the ball has only 1 colour? Or it means that the colour is not a dark one? What I would like to say it is that the ball has only 1 colour.
What do you think?
Thanks
Ana
P.S. In case it were green and blue for example, would I refer to it as a "two coloured ball" or a "two-tone ball"?

1 Nov 2016      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Although it would be more natural to name the color of the ball, you could say it has a single color. If I were to hear "plain-colored" ball, I would assume it does not have any patterns or designs.Therefore, it is a single color.

I would say the ball has two colors, but one could say it is a two-colored ball.  It is a two-toned ball is also possible in some contexts, but is not my first choice on the beach or playground.  (Two toned reminds me of the art world or home decorating. 

1 Nov 2016     

apayala
Spain

Wonderful explanation!!!!! Thanks a lot!!!!

1 Nov 2016     

douglas
United States

"plain colored " is probably better said as "solid color"

1 Nov 2016     

apayala
Spain

Thank you!

1 Nov 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Solid color seems the best description to me, too.

2 Nov 2016