Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > to plant    

to plant

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

to plant

Dear colleagues,

May I ask you to comment on this sentence:

While they are eating their sweets they came across the cupcakes that Harry had planted.

Can the verbe PLANT be used in this sense. I can �t find a corresponding example in a dictionary.
Thank you so much and all the best in the year 2017. 

22 Dec 2016      

douglas
United States

I think that in a very select few situations it could be used, but it is so rare I would probably not accept it (unless he buried the cupcakes in soil or is refering to some covert actions).  I believe the word you are looking  for is "hidden" (or "left behind").

Also. it should be "were eating" (vs "are eating")

22 Dec 2016     

yanogator
United States

To add a little to Douglas �s excellent answer, we do sometimes use "plant" to mean "placed secretly in a place for a certain purpose", such as "plant a microphone" or "plant a spy". However, it is always accompanied by some more information, such as "...they came across the cupcakes Harry had planted there as a surprise for them".

Bruce 

22 Dec 2016     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Thank you - you are always ready to help :))

22 Dec 2016