Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > simple question about memory sticks!!!    

simple question about memory sticks!!!

spied-d-aignel
France

simple question about memory sticks!!!

Hi , there , just a very simple question to native speakers. For a memory stick what word do you usually use? Memery stick? USB Flashdrive   or even USB key? Thanks for answering this very simple question and enjoy your day, hugs Sylvie

19 Jan 2017      

redcamarocruiser
United States

I say USB stick and thumb drive.

19 Jan 2017     

douglas
United States

thumb drive or USB stick (probably the latter more often than the former)

19 Jan 2017     

yanogator
United States

flash drive

Bruce 

19 Jan 2017     

Jayho
Australia

I say USB stick (to associate putting it in the USB port) but other terms commonly used in my neck of the woods are thumb drive and flash drive.  Some stds call it a pen drive (US English?). Retails stores here lean towards USB stick and flash drive. No-one here calls it a memory drive (UK English?).  All my colleagues call it a USB stick.

19 Jan 2017     

aftab57
United Kingdom

USB key

19 Jan 2017     

spinney
United Kingdom

I say pen drive. Not sure where that is most common, though as I �ve been living abroad since before they were invented.

19 Jan 2017     

spied-d-aignel
France

Many thanks for all your answers guys!! Thanks for the link Redcamarocruiser! You are all treasure ressources!!( I don �t know if that expression exists by the way.) Hugs from freezing Normandy!:)Sylvie

19 Jan 2017     

FrauSue
France

In Uk English, I have only heard USB stick or memory stick. I �ve heard flash drive, but I associate that with american English.
I �ve never heard thumb drive.
USB key is, in my opinion, just wrong. (That �s not a criticism of aftab! I just mean that in my own experience of English, that phrase is incorrect. I live in France where "une clé USB" is the standard phrase, but no English speaker I know has ever called it a USB key.)

21 Jan 2017     

Jayho
Australia

A USB key does exist - in my neck of the woods a USB key is a USB stick in the shape of a key, that you can attach to your keyring, see example here

22 Jan 2017     

a2king
Vietnam

In the book "Life" (Beginner level, published by Cengage), the word "Memory stick" is used.   

26 Jan 2017