Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What is a language ?    

What is a language ?

Ali S
Oman

What is a language ?

Dears all Hope everything is going well with you all Dears could help me to answer this Which of the following definition is the right definition of language and why ( you can choose more than one definitions but I need your justification) I need your opinions for research purpose 1- language is a system of conventional vocal signs by means of which human beings communicate. 2- Language is a systematic means of communicating ideas or feelings by the use of conventionalized signs, sounds, gestures or marks having understood meaning 3- Language is the whole body of words and methods of combinations of words used by people. 4- Language is the sum total of sounds and signs( written alphabet) by which human beings communicate ideas ,facts and feelings 5- Language is the use by human beings of voice sounds and often of written symbols that represent these sounds in organized combinations and patterns to express and communicate thoughts and feelings 6- Language is a system of communication by sound, operating through organs of speech and hearing, among members of a given community, and using vocal symbols possessing arbitrary conventional meanings. (Pei, 1966, p. 141) 
 7- Language is a system of human expression by means of words.It is a particular system of words as used by people or notion 8- Language is a purely human and non instinctive method of communicating ideas, emotions and desires by means of voluntarily produced symbols 9- A Language is a system of arbitrary vocal symbols by means of which the members of a society interact in terms of their total culture 10- Language is the institution whereby human communicate and interact with each other by means of habitually used oral auditory symbols Thanks in advance 

14 Feb 2017      

redcamarocruiser
United States

A very interesting question. I am not a linguist, but I like definition #2 .  http://fajardo-acosta.com/worldlit/language/linguistics-intro.htm has another definition. I would consult a linguistics professor or an introduction to linguistics textbook such as the one from Cambridge.org 

15 Feb 2017     

tepeese
Spain

I �d say number 2, because all the others restrict it to verbal language, and there �s more to a language than that, or we couldn �t speak about �body language �. Actually, I �d define it as an arbitrary convention of signs which is used to convey meaning.

17 Feb 2017