Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Fruit spreads    

Fruit spreads

yanogator
United States

Fruit spreads

A post I saw on a cooking blog led me to ask this, which could be helpful for many people.

In the US, we have four kinds of fruit spread that we use on bread and toast.

Jelly is made from fruit juice, sugar and pectin. It sets to a jiggly solid consistency with a shiny surface. It can be cut with a knife and will hold its shape. When heated, it melts, so it is sometimes used as a glaze for fresh fruits on tarts and other desserts.

Jam is made from whole fruit and sugar, and is cooked long enough for the fruit to lose its shape. The jam doesn �t hold its shape, so it is easily spread over the bread.

Preserves are made from whole berries or fairly small pieces of larger fruits, with a consistency similar to jam, but less uniform because of the pieces of fruit.

Marmalade is made from citrus fruit, usually oranges. It is a jelly with pieces of the peel embedded in it.

I would like to know if all four of these are familiar to users of British English, and what they are called, since the British use "jelly" for a gelatin dessert.

Thanks,
Bruce 

19 Feb 2017      

Gobobo
Saudi Arabia

You have jam in the US? I �m surprised as I thought the American equivalent of British jam was jelly. 

In the UK preserves are almost always sold alongside jams in the supermarket, with marmalades either nearby or amongst the other two spreads. TBH I think they �re all losing popularity as you can have fresh fruit all year round now. 

20 Feb 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Bruce. Jam is easily the most popular and is as you describe it. You don �t see too many preserves on the shelves in supermarkets, mainly things are labelled as jam. I would expect a preserve to have more fruit content and less sugar and be less glutinous. The sort of thing you might be served in a quality b&b. 

Marmalade is usually made with oranges and if it says �Seville oranges, � that makes me happy. The thickness of the peel varies. You can have marmalade made with lemons, but that �s not so popular. 

Like Gobobo, I thought �jelly � was American for �jam �. Jelly is something else in the UK. It �s a dessert made from gelatine, as you say,  usually served with that other British favourite, custard. How you make jelly from scratch, I don �t know; we buy it in cubes and add hot water. It goes wibbly wobbly on the plate;-)  

Other favourite fruity British spreads are lemon curd (made from lemon and eggs) and lemon cheese. Shop bought lemon curd is a bit sickly sweet, but home made, it is absolutely delicious.

Talking of spreads, let �s have a word in appreciation of the wonderful marmite. Good quality white toasted bread, thick Danish butter and a thin spreading of marmite, served with a pot  of Yorkshire tea. Now you �re talking! 

20 Feb 2017     

douglas
United States

"How you make jelly from scratch, I don �t know; we buy it in cubes and add hot water. It goes wibbly wobbly on the plate;-)" -- you just described what we call "Jell-O" (it �s actually a brand name).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jell-O

20 Feb 2017     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Douglas. I �ve known for a long time that what the British call "jelly" is the gelatin dessert that is popular here as Jell-O, although Royal brand gelatin is still on the market, too. Here it comes in a box as a powder, already sweetened and flavored, and we dissolve it in boiling water, then refrigerate it to cause it to "gel".

Thanks, Gobobo and Lynne, for letting me know that US jelly is peculiar to us, and you now know that we also have jam.

Here we use lemon curd (which I make sometimes) in desserts, not on toast. It is very easy to make for an experienced cook. I don �t know about lemon cheese, though. I �m thinking that your custard is what the French call Creme Anglaise, which we call boiled custard. For us, custard is almost always baked, often in a pie crust. Of course, the best custard of all is the French Creme Brulee.  (I apologize to all our French members for not using accent marks. We don �t generally use them in the US, even on foreign words).

Thanks for the help,
Bruce 

20 Feb 2017     

Jayho
Australia

I, too, thought jelly was jam in the US - we often hear about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, though no-one here would actually eat that in a pink fit.

Jelly is a wibbly wobbly dessert, for sure. We here buy it in boxes of crystals (not cubes), dissolve in boiling water and, once cooled, set it in the fridge. I couldn�t imagine having it with custard Lynne (though I�m sure people do) but it is delicious with ice-cream and fruit salad.

Well, for us down here Bruce, here are the definitions, straight from the No 1 sugar company site, of your terms:
What is the difference between jams, marmalades, jellies, preserves, chutneys?

Technically speaking, below are the traditional definitions:
� Jam is made from crushed or chopped fruit. Jam holds its shape, but is less firm than jelly. When jams are made from a mixture of fruits they are usually called conserves, especially when they contain citrus fruits, nuts, raisins or coconut.
� Marmalades (the English term for citrus jams) are soft, transparent fruit jams that contain small pieces of fruit or citrus peel.
� Jelly is a mixture of fruit juice and sugar that is clear and firm enough to hold its shape.
� Preserves are made of small, whole fruits or pieces of fruits in clear, thick, slightly gelled syrup.
� Chutneys are usually sweet and often spiced condiments for savoury dishes. They usually consist of a mixture of fruits, vegetables and spices.

http://www.csrsugar.com.au/csr-sugar/better-baking/jam-faq/

Forget the Marmite, Lynne.  Try Vegemite! Every true blue,dinki di, Aussie kid is brought up on Vegemite. As a first timer, you�ll either love it or hate, but either way, you�ll never forget it!  

20 Feb 2017     

douglas
United States

The last few seconds of this clip show a "yummy" Jell-O dish from National Lampoon �s Christmas Vacation (classic comedy!). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spmqbs8YCW8

20 Feb 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I love homemade lemon curd. I want to try vegemite. I know - let �s have a party! Bruce - I �ll bring wonderful bread for the lemon curd, so get that started, please!  Jayho, you bring the vegemite and we �ll do the taste test: marmite vs vegemite. Douglas can sing something about Jell-O. 

No peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, mind!

Anybody French around? You �re very welcome to knock up a creme brulee. 
See you guys later! 

20 Feb 2017     

yanogator
United States

If anyone brings marmite or vegemite, I �ll stay home and eat all the lemon curd myself. That stuff is nasty! Well, I �ve only experienced marmite, but my understanding is that vegemite is similar.

I know your kidding when you use the phrase "knock up" with creme brulee, since that is a major undertaking. Also, unfortunately, it doesn �t travel well.

Bruce 

20 Feb 2017     

manonski (f)
Canada

Peanut butter and jam is delicious!  I remember when they use to sell the jar with both Pb and J in it in Canada. Bruce, is it available in US?

20 Feb 2017     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Manon. It �s still around. I wouldn �t buy it, though.

Bruce 

20 Feb 2017     

1    2    Next >