Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help me with grammar!    

Help me with grammar!

aydin1362
Iran

Help me with grammar!

Hi everyone!
I need you expert help with the following structures:

I should have done that. (But I didn �t.)

I shouldn �t have done that. (But I did it.)

I could have studied math. (But I didn �t.)

Now, my question is:

We should study more. = It �s better for us to study more.

What if something was better for us to do in the past. For example:

It was better for us to take some food with ourselves to school. 

It was not a good idea to waste your time with friends. 

(I mean I want to talk about something which was wiser to do. I don �t want to say that I did it or not.)

How can I say it with should?

We should take some food when we were at school!!!!

We should have taken some food when we were at school!!!!

20 Feb 2017      

douglas
United States

We should have studied more.

We should have taken some food to school with us.

20 Feb 2017     

aydin1362
Iran

We should have taken some food to school with us. Doesn �t that mean we didn �t take food?

20 Feb 2017     

douglas
United States

You �re right.  Perhaps: One should take food to school. (it �s not past though). Otherwise, I can �t come-up with anything.

20 Feb 2017     

yanogator
United States

I think you �re starting with a mistaken assumption. When you say "I should study more", you are saying that you don �t study enough, so there is a definite negative built into it. Therefore, when you talk about it in the past, the negative (but I didn �t) is going to be there when you use should in any tense.

Bruce 

20 Feb 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

should have + past participle always implies the negative (that the speaker didn �t do as prescribed)

20 Feb 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with the others that �should � won �t do. Could you rephrase it like this: we needed to take food to school with us... But I don �t think you can quite get the meaning you are looking for. 

20 Feb 2017     

aydin1362
Iran

Thanks everybody!

But, what should I say instead? 

I have to disagree with Bruce as we don �t use should with a negative meaning all the time. It can be used for suggestions. For what you think is better to be done. For example, we should take more money. We shouldn �t eat unhealthy food. We should stay more.

What do we use in English when a meaning like this is intended for the past? Can we use should?

20 Feb 2017     

yanogator
United States

I said that when "should" is used in the past, the negative implication is there, so you aren �t actually disagreeing with me.

It �s rather wordy, but one suggestion is "It would have been good to take some food to school. (although there is still a slight implication that we didn �t). Thinking about it, I �m realizing that since we know what happened in the past, we know whether we took food or not,  No, we can �t use "should", as explained above.

Bruce 

20 Feb 2017     

Jayho
Australia

How about: these.  Do these work? I don�t think so because they confirm that you actually did it.

It would would have been better [to have/if we had] taken more food to school

We would have been better off if we had taken more food to school 

We should have taken more food to school 

but maybe

We should [always] take plenty of food to school

20 Feb 2017     

aydin1362
Iran

Thanks a million for the time and kind attentions!

And, my special thanks to Bruce. 

20 Feb 2017     

1    2    Next >