Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Passive voice structure    

Passive voice structure

poroxod
Uzbekistan

Passive voice structure

Dear colleagues, which answer is correct here? Can you explain it and show the grammar source? To my mind, two answers are correct here A) to be planted and C) to have been planted.

What is your opinion?

The prizes for the champions were wreaths from a sacred olive tree that was said … by Heracles.

A) to be planted                   B) to plant     

C) to have been planted       D) to being planted

26 Feb 2017      

pilarnavarro
Spain

In my opinion, the most suitable answer would be "to have been planted".
Since the whole sentence is connected with an action in the past,  the perfect passive infinitive should be the right answer here (People said that that olive tree had been planted by Heracles)

26 Feb 2017     

jfaraujo
Portugal

I agree with Pilar.
The whole sentence is about something that happened in the past, so the right answer should be C because it is the perfect passive infitive.
The other options don �t make sense gramatically. 

26 Feb 2017     

douglas
United States

C

27 Feb 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, C is the best answer in British English. To help rationalise it, express the sentence actively. 
It was said that Heracles had planted the tree.

I �ve a feeling you could get away with �It was said that Heracles planted the tree � in American English, which would legitimise answer A, but  I �m not sure. 

27 Feb 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

C is the only correct answer in American English, as well. One can check the possibilities here

27 Feb 2017     

bhau
India

I too agree with all, the answer is C.

27 Feb 2017     

bhau
India

I too agree with all, the answer is C.

27 Feb 2017