Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > My favourite mushrooms    

My favourite mushrooms

ninon100
Russian Federation

My favourite mushrooms

Dear Colleagues,
what do yu call these in English? I �ve found so many variants, but since they are my favourite mushrooms, I need to know what people in different countries call them :)

9 Mar 2017      

silvanija
Lithuania

Boletus in English, I think.

Baravykas in Lithuanian.

9 Mar 2017     

Minka
Slovenia

Jurčki! 

9 Mar 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-4778957-stock-footage-basket-with-penny-bun-mushrooms-in-the-background-autumn-decoration.html says they are called penny bun mushrooms.

Edit:
When I looked in google images for boletus I could not find boletus mushrooms that looked the same to me as the mushrooms in the picture, but this site says the names are synonymous, as Bruce explains below. 
So, thanks Bruce and Silvanija for clearing it up.

Edit: Yes, Ines, linguee verifies that it is Steinpilz.

9 Mar 2017     

yanogator
United States

Thanks for narrowing it down, Mary. "Penny bun mushrooms" is one name in the US, but they are more commonly called "porcini mushrooms". We usually find them dried in the grocery stores, rather than fresh. However, lately more stores carry a variety of mushrooms. 20 years ago, white button mushrooms were all that could be found in a grocery store. As Silvanija said, their botanical name is "boletus".

Bruce 

9 Mar 2017     

Kr�mel
Germany

Steinpilz in German, I think I �m right. I don �t know many mushrooms.

9 Mar 2017     

Gi2gi
Georgia

What do you call it in Russian?

9 Mar 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

These looked like toadstools to me and I got a belly ache just looking at them  So I �ve googled them and they are indeed porcini (pronounced in the Italian way - porcheeny) mushrooms. So well done, guys on naming them! I must say, I �ve never seen them fresh in shops  and you �d have to visit a big store even to get them dried and they are really expensive. 
I �m a mushroom-lover though, so I �ll be after some now!  
Edit: I live in the north of England. 

9 Mar 2017     

Minka
Slovenia

Mushroom picking is a popular hobby around here, as well as in Russia and Lithuania, I suppose. You can make delicious soup or sauce with this particular kind. You can find them fresh in the market or in the forest. They �re my favourite. 

9 Mar 2017     

karagozian
France

In France they are called cepes. They are very popular tasty and expensive. I have them in my garden ! Haha ! LYnne what are you waiting for. We had yesterday "omelette aux cepes" ! MIam !

9 Mar 2017     

tooomas
Poland

As far as I know, the British and Americans don �t really know the differences between most "wild mushrooms" and end up calling all of them "wild mushrooms".

9 Mar 2017     

1    2    3    4    Next >