Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > teaching geographical, historical and cultural aspects    

teaching geographical, historical and cultural aspects

Vanessa G L
Spain

teaching geographical, historical and cultural aspects

hi guys!

can you give me some ideas to teach geographical, historical and cultural aspects. I mean aparts from texts, songs, videos, and this king of materail can we do something different?

thanks in advance

6 Mar 2009      

lany75
United States

I know a fun activity we did in one of my classes was to find out where our clothes are made and then mark it on the map. You look at all of the tags on your clothes and see where they are made. You can do it in groups, or as a whole class. They will see that the things they use and wear everyday are from all over the world. It helps them to also see where all of the countries on an atlas are located. Hope this helps.
Elena

6 Mar 2009     

liverpuliana
Spain

In 3� and 4� ESO I always tell the students to prepare a project on different cultural aspects, literature, music, whatever, you choose, and they have to present this project orally in front of the class at the end of the academic year. They usually do it great, with powerpoint presentations and everything and WE ALL have a great time.

Another idea might be webquests. My students in 4�ESO this year are working on two webquests, one on English music from the 60s and 70s and another one on English Literature (William Shakespeare, The Bronte sisters and Charles Dickens) and they are enjoying it...and I �m looking forward to the oral presentations in May because most of them do a great job.
I hope these ideas are useful.
Un abrazo.
Inma

6 Mar 2009     

ameliarator
United States

Are you teaching history/culture/geography from just one country or from many countries?
If you are focusing on many different countries one popular activity here is to have a cultural fair. �Individual students or groups are assigned or choose a country and prepare some food from that country, make a poster about the country, and prepare a presentation (preferably with music/dance/poetry/stories from their country) then there is a celebration when the students share their food/poster/presentation with the rest of the class.

7 Mar 2009     

douglas
United States

I really like giving internet research assignments.  If you ask cultural/geographical questions they will discover even more info as they surf embassy websites etc. 
And I require my students to use an English language search engine.

Usually, they use google.com.  If you enter www.google.com in your browser it will normally come up in your local language--right beside or under the search box (where you enter your key words) there will be an option to go to google USA click on it and you are in the English google search engine.

Douglas

7 Mar 2009