Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Kindergarten    

Kindergarten

mica.mcr
Argentina

Kindergarten

Hi everyone!!

I �m going to start working in kindergarten for the first time in my life and I �m quite lost. I have always worked with teenagers, so I don �t know what kind of activities to prepare for five-year-old kids. Can anyone help me? Whatever piece of advice or idea helps!

Thanks in advance :)

Micaela 

21 Mar 2017      

mesudini
Turkey

use supersimple  songs activities in the class

22 Mar 2017     

joannajs
Poland

The key words are plan and routine  Be prepared that the activities are going to take LONG as the children are not very organized, may require help and support. Any kind of stuff that involved singing or movement (or generally TPR) sounds like a very good idea so think of songs, chants, raps - it �ll help the kids remember the content better. Same with rhymes especially with movement (remember the HEAD, SHOULDERDS, KNEES and TOES?). Timing of an activity should be short: the attention span of a kid is double their age plus two (so if you have 5 year olds they can focus on the activity for 12 min).
Like all of us kids like games and little rewards so if you can give them some stickers, it might help class management

Below there are some links to things that might help you further. Keep my fingers crossed, you can do it!

22 Mar 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=868347#thetop has some activities that might help.  The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Little Yellow and Little bue are nice books to teach. You can tell the story with props  http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UlYnzwAZs2E/VA82jbmKgPI/AAAAAAAAKTg/tWIfnunvjbU/s1600/IMG_5640.jpg

22 Mar 2017     

mica.mcr
Argentina

Thank you all so much!! 

22 Mar 2017     

cbenglish
United States

Hi Micaela,

I have been teaching Kindergarten kids for many years now and I have found it both challenging and rewarding. I can tell you a few things that really saved me:

- Flashcards - lots of images and flashcards. Kids are visual learners so have lots.

- Objects and Props - a ball, fly swatters,  blocks, toy cars - these are just a few things I used in classes for games we played.

- Sing Songs - something children love is to sing ( and dance ) so I teach my young ones some simple steps and words.

- Crayons and Scissors -  lots of fine motor skill activities can be fun and enjoyable for you and the kids. 

- Reward System - I always have a reward system, usually stamp sheet, stars next to their names on the board, or fun play money. Click here for play money!

I hope these suggestions can help. I also design a lot of my own worksheets, activities, and fun games on my website. These are free to download and print out to use with kids. You can find lots of themed activities for seasons, holidays, travel, and basics such as phonics on the website. Here is the link:

22 Mar 2017     

omaxios
Morocco

Hi Micaela! If you want to be a suprising teache to both your kindergarten students and school officials, I �d suggest that you rarely use any reading or word worksheets. Rely much often on games, flashcards, realia (physical objects to teach with) and don �t forget short tuny songs 

22 Mar 2017     

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

Also , you can click here

https://www.teachingenglishgames.com/ 

and check what Shelley Vernon has for you there ;-) 

22 Mar 2017     

mica.mcr
Argentina

Awesome, thanks for the tips!!

22 Mar 2017