Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Which pronoun is correct I or me?    

Which pronoun is correct I or me?

douglas
United States

This is a case similar to the whole  "who" vs "whom" discussion. Only, yours has not yet evolved as far as the WvsW case in which "who" has become accepted as an object pronoun even by the experts.

"Who did you give the keys to?" grammatically should be: "Whom did you give the keys to?, but common use has triumphed over stodgy academics.

(OBTW: I see nothing wrong with ending a sentence with a preposition.)

"Academia, macademia--they �re all nuts."
                                                      Douglas (2015)

Cheers,
Douglas

6 Apr 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put".

Sir Winston S. Churchill

6 Apr 2017     

douglas
United States

"...and thus I place shackles on writers and speakers that are told by academia that they can �t place prepositions at the end of a sentence even if they want to."

Douglas

7 Apr 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

To whit to woo,
To whom or to who? 
Is it I or is it me?
Is it him or is it he?  
Shall I go more faster or just faster
This English is hard to master! 

Anyone can supply another couplet if they want to...  

7 Apr 2017     

medamine
Tunisia

personally I learned and am still learning a lot  from your posts here thanxxxxxxxxx a lot though as a non native speaker I have nener thought "I" would be accepted here in Normandeye example. Concerning "who" versus "whom" my students are always confused which and when to use each but I think both are acceptable eventhough we were told that "Whom" is used mainly in formal- official English. So just keep on with your comments and thankyou again.

9 Apr 2017     

< Previous   1    2