Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help with abstract - native speakers, please.    

Help with abstract - native speakers, please.

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Help with abstract - native speakers, please.

Hello, dear members,

a friend of mine has asked me to translate the obstract of her thesis. I tried but it was a bit difficult and I am sure there are some mistakes. As she is a very nice person, I would like to do the best for her. Please, especially native speakers, could someone have a look and help me to correct the mistakes?

Thank you very much in advance a wish you nice weekend,

Michaela

This thesis deals with flash flood in Teplice in 1927, and the effects that this natural disaster had on the population. The aim of the thesis was to map the areas hit by the flood and the damages it caused. The first chapter deals with the sources, which include the archival fund Teplice District Office and newspaper Teplitz- SchönauerAnzeiger. These sources were crucial for the thesis. The second chapter is devoted to historical geographical characteristics, where have been mapped the affected areas. The third chapter discusses the process of flooding itself and development of flooding in various areas, damage to property, infrastructure and the economy. It describes particular communities and people who have been affected by the flood. There were drawn up commission lists, which bring a lot of interesting information about economic activities of people at the time. The last chapter contains information about individual institutions that tried to help financially to the affected areas. People also sent letters to the president, asking for help. Furthermore, we found records proving that the government meeting decided about emergency aid. In this difficult situation a collection was set by a special commission to help those in need.

8 Apr 2017      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Michaela,

What a super, concise prcis of an essay!
Here is my submission. I have tried to alter it as little as possible.
I have sent you a P.M. with a query.
Best Wishes.

Les Douglas

�This thesis deals with the flash flood in Teplice in 1927, and the effects that this natural disaster had on the population. The aim of the thesis is to map the areas hit by the flood and the damage it caused.

The first chapter deals with the information sources, which include the archives of the aid fund, the Teplice District Office, and the newspaper Teplitz- Sch�nauer Anzeiger. These sources were crucial to the writing of the thesis.

The second chapter is devoted to former geographical characteristics, which enabled the mapping of the affected areas.

The third chapter discusses the action of the flooding itself and the development of flooding in the various areas, including damage to property, infrastructure and the economy. It describes specific communities and individual people who had been affected by the flood. Commission lists had been prepared which showed much interesting information about the economic activities of the population at the time.

The final chapter contains information regarding particular institutions which endeavoured to give financial help to the affected areas. Individuals also sent letters to the President, requesting help. In addition, the authors found records proving that a government meeting had made decisions regarding Emergency Aid. In this difficult situation, a collection to help the needy was organised by a special Commission.

8 Apr 2017     

yanogator
United States

Hi, Michaela,
I �m happy to help. As I expected, the most common problem had to do with articles. Having studied Russian, I know that articles are difficult for Slavic people.

For anyone else who chooses to contribute here, don �t be concerned about the name of the newspaper. I can see that "Teplitz" is the German name for Teplice, and is pronounced about the same. 

Edit: I see that Les and I were responding at the same time. His version reads a little more "natively" because I made fewer changes to minor things. 
Bruce

This thesis deals with the flash flood in Teplice in 1927, and the effects that this natural disaster had on the population. The aim of the thesis is to map the areas hit by the flood and the damage ["damage" is used more collectively here, so it is used uncountably] it caused. The first chapter deals with the sources, which include the archival fund Teplice District Office [I �m unclear here. Does it mean the Archival Fund Office in the Teplice District? If so, that would be a better wording. Or is it possibly the archival Fund Office of the Teplice District? As it stands, it isn �t very clear what it means] and the newspaper Teplitz- Sch�nauerAnzeiger. These sources were crucial to the thesis. The second chapter is devoted to historical geographical characteristics, and the affected areas have been mapped. The third chapter discusses the process of flooding itself, the development of flooding in various areas, and the damage to property, infrastructure and the economy. It describes particular communities and people who have been affected by the flood. Commission lists were drawn up, which bring a lot of interesting information about the economic activities of people at the time. The last chapter contains information about individual institutions that tried to help the affected areas financially. People also sent letters to the president, asking for help. Furthermore, we found records proving that the government meeting decided about emergency aid [I �m not sure what this is supposed to mean, so I can �t help]. In this difficult situation a collection was made by a special commission to help those in need.

8 Apr 2017     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Les and Bruce,

Thank you so much to both of you. I still have lots of things to learn and improve. Now, with your help, I am sure my friend �s thesis is going to be perfect. :)

Have a great day,

Michaela

9 Apr 2017