Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > whats the right answer    

whats the right answer

miyoko71
Morocco

whats the right answer

Michael has the gardener..........................................of everything.
a-take care
b-taking care
c-to take care
d-taken care

I think- b- is the right answer.Do you agree with me?

14 Apr 2017      

MoodyMoody
United States

As an American English speaker, a, b, and c all sound fine. D is wrong. There is a slight difference in meaning, though. A: The gardener does everything on a regular basis. B: The gardener is doing everything now. C: The purpose of the gardener is to do everything. D would need to have the auxiliary "have" to turn it into a present perfect: "The gardener has taken care of everything."

14 Apr 2017     

yanogator
United States

I agree with MoodyMoody.

A. Michael instructs/has instructed the gardener to take care of everything.
B. The gardener is now taking care of everything, on Michael �s instruction.
C. The gardener �s purpose in being employed by Michael is to take care of everything.

So, all three are correct, but with different shades of meaning.

Bruce 

14 Apr 2017     

Jayho
Australia

In agreeance with MM and Bruce.  But Miyoko71, you  might be in a spot of bother if only one can be chosen. Was there any other information/context provided in the text?

14 Apr 2017     

kodora
Greece

The right answer is a)take care because the expression to have somebody do something is used to talk about activities performed by a known subject eg I will have Mike repair my car 
There is also  to get somebody to do something which has a similar meaning but it is closer to persuade eg I must get dad to buy me a new computer
You use to have somebody doing something to refer to the result you create and in the negative form to show that you won �t tolerate something eg He had us rolling with laughter, I won �t have you coming back so late at night
Hope it helps
Dora 

15 Apr 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with kodora, for the reasons she states. You have somebody do something, or get somebody to do something. --- That �s if you have to choose only one option. Going through all the options, I also agree that MM �s observations are right. 

15 Apr 2017     

L. habach
Morocco

I agree with Kodora and Cunliffe

15 Apr 2017     

yanogator
United States

Yes, if you have to have one answer, A is probably the intended one.

Bruce 

15 Apr 2017     

marzouga
Morocco

yes ,me too,I �d choose letter A as the best answer. 

15 Apr 2017     

miyoko71
Morocco

thx to all of you.in fact we have to choose just one answer.
I see it as the passive voice with -have-.Am I right?
Thanks for your help. 

15 Apr 2017     

yanogator
United States

Not passive - causative

Bruce 

15 Apr 2017     

1    2    Next >