Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Picture caption competition April 17th 2017 - by brightgreen    

Picture caption competition April 17th 2017 - by brightgreen

karagozian
France

“Ugh Lynne !" "Do I look fat in this picture?”  "I am not as fat as a pig though !"

18 Apr 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Na! � means �No, definitely not! �  in Geordie - am I right, Les? Also, �Nee way! � �No � ron yer nelly! � �Ge � ron yer bike! � �Hadaway! � or as my dear sweet mother used to say, �Garn ge � raway an � sh*te! � 

Edit: In standard English, �no way!� �I�m not going to help you, no way!�

That hamster is not as fat as the mouse in my dressing room, for whom I leave out seeds, greens and the odd grape. My cat Isla brought it in. My husband says I �m in trouble if that little mouse is pregnant!
Edit: I caught that mouse in my humane trap and released it last night!

18 Apr 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Hamster: What!? I�m being good. that munching sound you hear is broccoli!

@ Val,

I think you are right about English speakers using intonation to communicate disapproval in such a construction. One could say, "I�m not going to help you, OK?"  with emphasis on the "OK" like in the recording below.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1r1NjpjyWhW  disapproval specific to a bothersome or disliked person 
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0JiPqTt1IV1 emphasis on the speaker not being the person who will help

Mary 

18 Apr 2017     

douglas
United States

Sorry, once again on the wrong wavelength

na - as a disapproval is in the intonation

The Germans use "na"  kind of  iike "what �s up?" 

My bad, sorry.

18 Apr 2017     

valodra
France

Nooo, Douglas, my fault :-S : I didn �t explain what �Na! � means in French in my first message ...Thank you EVER so much to you and Redcamarocruiser ( Your recordings are just great & so helpful!!! Thank you! ) for your time & explanations !!
& Cunliffe - for ...British - English Na...:-)))
+ Sorry for interrupting in the caption contest !! - but it �s the place where I learn the most ;-)))
Blessings from Northern France,
Val 

18 Apr 2017     

teresasimoes
Portugal

What mouse do you mean? Me or my homonymous?
Our food is not to be confused. 

18 Apr 2017     

falafel
Tunisia

You have told me that to keep fit, I have to eat broccoli, So, should I eat it before or after the meals????

18 Apr 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

My mammy loves me more than she loves her human kiddies because I EAT BROCCOLI!

20 Apr 2017     

karagozian
France

I only eat the stalks and leave the leaves to the goats.

20 Apr 2017     

brightgreen
Russian Federation

All right, guys, I think it �s time to announce the winner! The winner is ..... (drums) ..... falafel with the caption - You have told me that to keep fit I have to eat broccoli, so, should I eat it before or after the meals???? It was hilarious, congratulations! 

21 Apr 2017     

< Previous   1    2