Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Articles with buildings    

Articles with buildings

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Articles with buildings

Hello, dear colleages.
While reviewing Articles with my Upper-Intermediate students I stumbles upon the usage of articles with buildings.
The rule says that we should use "the" with the names of buildings and the exceptions are buildings the names of which start with a person �s name.
So I still can �t get, why it �s "The Eiffel Tower" and "Buckingham Palace"? 

Can anybody help me out with that? Maybe you know a good resourse where all the rules with the exceptions are written. I have  looked through a lot of them but didn �t quite found the answer.

24 May 2017      

yanogator
United States

I don �t know where that rule came from, but it isn �t right.

This link seems to be useful. You can add "names that contain the word �palace � or �castle � if they contain a person �s name" to Rule 8.3. Also, there �s a misprint in Rule 8.2. It should say "word" instead of "work".

Bruce 

24 May 2017     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

I found it in a book Grammarway 4

Judging by those rules it should be THE Buckingham Palace and The London Bridge, but it �s not right. 

24 May 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Students of English sometimes ask: "In English, when we are dealing with XYZ, what is the Rule?"
This is a little bit like asking: "When I drive from Paris to Beijing, what is the Rule of the Road?"

Well, it�s not exactly like that ... but it�s slightly similar.

Almost every language, just like a road system, has been built, and changed, and adapted, and modernised, in bits and pieces, to conform to the changing needs of the Society of that Nation. These changes have taken centuries for the language to develop into its present form.
To write the �Rules� of that language in short, simple sentences, which the student can consume in 5 minutes, is almost impossible. I try my best, as does every other teacher, but I am almost always criticised for being �wordy�. Other teachers are sometimes criticised for not giving sufficient information.

To keep you in the picture, the five professors of English who wrote "A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language", (which I am studying now), need almost 100 pages to explain the use of Nouns and Determiners. That is just 1 of 19 Chapters and 3 Appendices, a total of 1,800 Pages of a large book.

Under the Section, �Geographical names�, (the topic we are discussing), there are  4 pages of closely written script, divided into about 22 Sub-sections.

I know that being a student of English, is sometimes not easy!

Being a teacher of English, is never easy!

But, we all do the best we can!

Les Douglas

24 May 2017     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Thank you, Bruce and Les Douglas, for your time and your answers! I will have a look at the book!

Have a great day everyone, 

Katia 

25 May 2017