Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I ´m at my wits´ end... but what about them?    

I ´m at my wits´ end... but what about them?

Shalottslady
Belgium

I ´m at my wits´ end... but what about them?

Dear colleagues,

I hope some of you could help me out here. I �m writing a short text and I want to use the idiom �at my wits´ end �, only not with the subject �I � but with �the police �. Now, I know �the police � is seen as a plural form, so I was wondering if the noun also takes the plural  in agreement with the subject.
In other words, which one is correct:

1) The police are at their wits� end.
OR
2) The police are at their wits� ends. 

Many thanks for a clear justified answer. 

27 May 2017      

yanogator
United States

If you �re going to use the possessive plural wits �, you have to use ends., because certainly their collective wits don �t have just one end. Anyway, I would say "at their wits � ends". "...at their wits � end" would be wrong, and I don �t think that "...at their wit �s end" is the best choice.

Bruce 

27 May 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

At their wits � ends does not sound right to me. The idiom is at wits � end. http://grammarist.com/spelling/at-wits-end/ gives examples of the usage with a plural subject.

27 May 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The police are at their wits � end, definitely in British English; that is the idiom. My son has just walked in and said that �at their wits � ends � is an Americanism. 

28 May 2017     

almaz
United Kingdom

At their wits� end is certainly more common on both sides of the Atlantic (see comparison in Google�s Ngram Viewer). And here�s the relevant entry from the OED � with Fanny Burney�s odd take on it:

28 May 2017     

Jayho
Australia

It is at wits� end down here at the bottom of the world

29 May 2017