Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Odd words    

Odd words

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Odd words

Hi,

I would like to hear your opinion about the words for females:

creatrix/creatress vs creator   and
mistress vs master. 

Would you use these words  in a sentence if you wanted to point out the female gender or you woukld stick to the words denoting males?

I �m looking forward to your ideas.

15 Jun 2017      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Zvonka,
Creatrix and Creatress aren �t words, so definitely don �t use them. We consider "creator" to be genderless, so it is fine for everyone.

Since "mistress" also means a married man �s girlfriend, you have to be careful using it. When it clearly means the woman in charge, then it is fine. We really don �t see the words "master" and "mistress" all that much these days.

Bruce 

15 Jun 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Actually Bruce, surprisingly they are indeed words (see here ). However, up until now, I have never heard them. 

Mistress is rarely used nowadays either. If it is used, it is interpreted to mean exactly as Bruce wrote. 

15 Jun 2017     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

That is the problem. The words are in a dictionary but I as a non-native speaker don �t know if they are used as other words are. I solved the problem so that I used the word Creatrix Mother referring to Mother Earth since  I needed feminine nouns. I left the word master- mistress out as the word mistress can have other connotations.
Thanx. 

16 Jun 2017     

kohai
Latvia

Hmm, in this context, shouldn�t it be Mother-Creatrix (
instead of Creatrix Mother)?

16 Jun 2017     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, Jayho. I �ll accept OED �s word over dictionary.com and amend my statement to say that creatrix and creatress aren �t common enough to be found at dictionary.com, although they do exist.

Bruce 

16 Jun 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �ve never heard those words, either. By the way, �mistress � can be used in other ways. �Mistress of all she surveys � sounds fine, for example. 

16 Jun 2017