Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Grammar     

Grammar

aydin1362
Iran

Grammar

Hello,

Can you please help me with these grammar questions?

1. I never wear ..............
a) a hat               b) hats

I never buy the ........................I look at.
a) first car         b) first cars

The book says that the answer is a for both questions. But, Aren �t we talking in general, about general facts? Shouldn �t we use plurals to show that?

Thanks in advance!

1 Jul 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, being English, I �m not certain about grammar rules,Smile but for the first one, both options are fine. Extending it to other items, the plural would be better e.g. I never wear dresses. About the car, definitely option a. I think if you meant to say you never bought the first cars, you would probably re-phrase it to something like, �I always look at a good number of cars before deciding. � 

1 Jul 2017     

almaz
United Kingdom

Well, being Scottish, I have a fairly good grasp of grammar rules and usage conventions

I believe the type of plural you�re referring to, aydin, is the one sometimes known as a distributive plural (it has to do with numerical concord). You would normally expect a plural when you�re talking about shared experiences (the children put their coats on, even though they have only one coat each), but when it applies to generalisations and rules, both singular and plural are acceptable � as the book says. 

So, the first one can be either a) or b), while in the second, b) only makes sense if you�re in the habit of buying more than one car at a time.

2 Jul 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear aydin1632,

I have said before on ESLP, that some students expect teachers of English to give a �one-sentence rule �, which applies in every case ... as with scientific subjects ...  1+1 = 2 ALWAYS.

But, language is not a science, with fixed, invariable rules. It is a living, developing body of knowledge, changing, day by day. So, it can be difficult to categorise.

"A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language", 2010, describes �Determinatives �, (Determiners), including �Articles �, (A, The, etc.),  on pages 253-287.

�The use of the Zero Article �, requires pages 274-280.

I have been through the whole chapter.

In my opinion: 

QUESTION 1. a) and b) are both acceptable.

Question 1a. can be referring to a SPECIFIC situation.

"I never wear a hat when I go to the theatre, because it will obstruct someone �s view".

Question 1b. can be referring to a GENERAL SITUATION.

"Generally speaking, I never wear hats, because my Doctor says that they are bad for my scalp".

QUESTION 2. a) is acceptable.

The speaker is thinking of a SPECIFIC occasion, (when he is buying a car), and thinking of a specific car ( �the first car �). 

"I never buy the first car I look at. I always look around for a cheaper car".

QUESTION 2. b) is unacceptable.

The speaker is thinking of GENERAL situations ... the several occasions when he has looked at cars.

However, b) is ungrammatical, because in this sentence, �first � is referring to one, singular item, �car � ... �cars � is not singular, but plural.

EDIT. Unless, as Almaz correctly says, the speaker is thinking of buying several cars together, in which case �the first cars� is referring to �the first group of cars� that the speaker sees.

I hope that this helps.

Les Douglas

P.S. I am half-English, half-Scottish.

2 Jul 2017     

almaz
United Kingdom

Ah, Les, you�re citing Quirk et al. Excellent. There�s an interesting (and mercifully brief) piece on what Quirk and others have to say about distributive plural and singular here.

Alex

2 Jul 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Alex,

Ah! It �s lovely to see you again. You bring back to me fond memories of beautiful Scotland, my mother �s homeland. Happy, happy days. Thank you!

Les 

2 Jul 2017     

almaz
United Kingdom

Good to see you back too, Les. Last time I was on here, someone had just put out an APB for you 

2 Jul 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Les and Alex, it �s lovely to have both you guys back. 

2 Jul 2017     

douglas
United States

Both options could actually work for the second sentence as well--in the (extremely) rare case that the person is in the habit of buying cars in large lots versus one at a time.

(My two cents)

3 Jul 2017     

aydin1362
Iran

Dear Colleagues,

Thanks indeed for all kind attention you have paid to the topic. I got the answer! It �s great being here with professionals like you!

4 Jul 2017