Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > excited + full infinitive    

excited + full infinitive

Pedro14
Spain

excited + full infinitive

Today I �ve had to stand in for a colleague of mine who was on a sick leave. One of his students showed me a composition marked by my workmate and to my surprise he crossed the following student �s sentence and wrote this instead: "I �m excited about going on holiday." My colleague crossed it out and wrote "excited to go on holiday." instead. I �m a bit flabbergasted as I �ve always taught my students that "excited" is always followed by the preposition "about". Could anyone shed some light on this? Is my colleague �s correction correct? If so, in which contexts? Thanks.

11 Aug 2017      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Pedro14,

I am surprised that your colleague crossed the student �s sentence out. This means that he thinks that this construction is incorrect.

It isn�t ... it �s perfectly acceptable!

Indeed, his �correction �: "I �m excited to go on holiday", is not one that I would use. If I were referring to the future, I might say: "I �m excited to be going on holiday to America next year", for example. But: "I �m excited to go on holiday" ... No!

However, I would be careful about teaching that �excited � is ALWAYS followed by the preposition �about �.

The Oxford Dictionary of English, printed 2006.
Gould was excited by these discoveries.
They were excited about the prospect.

The Oxford Collocations Dictionary, printed 2013.
Excited: Prepositions.
about: The kids seemed pretty excited about the holidays.
at: excited at the news.
by: He was puzzled but strangely excited by the commotion.

In my opinion, in this case, you are entitled to feel �flabbergasted �!

Indeed, as we sometimes jokingly say: "I bet your flabber has never been so gasted!!!"

Les Douglas 

EDIT

https://lingohelp.me/preposition-after-adjective/excited-about-for-by-at-over/

This shows percentages of the use of Prepositions after the word �excited�.

65%   ABOUT your birthday.
15%   FOR this trip.
9%     BY this.
4%     AT the idea.
2%     OVER the preview.
2%     WITH this idea.
1%     IN a strange way.
1%     ON the first day.
1%     TO see them again.

Les Douglas 

11 Aug 2017     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Hi, Pedro14
�Here �s a nice little article about the usage of �excited �:
excited about, for, by, at or over?
Giorgi

12 Aug 2017     

Pedro14
Spain

Thank you both for your prompt reply. I �ll be careful when telling my students a word is "always" followed by something. "frequently" would be best. By the by, Les, that saying wasn �t familiar to me so I �ve decided to goggle it. Does gasted come from "aghast"? Does "flabber" make reference to an extinct animal similar to a skunk? 

13 Aug 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Pedro14,

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060622183543AAtTx9N

Les Douglas

13 Aug 2017